Replacing iPod 5.5G headphone jack?
Nov 26, 2008 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Duffy1207

100+ Head-Fier
This maybe should be in the DIY section, but as it reagards iPod's, which I assume many people posting in this section have, it can go here.

Basically, a couple of months ago, my iPod stopped outputting sound in one headphone. I diagnosed this as a faulty headphone jack, and was quoted £40 online to replace it.

The thing is, I found a simple guide on how to do it yourself, and the part itself can be had on ebay for not much more than £10.

Has anyone done this themselves, and is it an easy job? I'm quite good with things electrically, and have taken my iPod apart to assess the difficulty, which doesn't look too bad. I'm just wondering if anyone has done it themselves found it difficult, or if there are any tips etc.

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 17
Same thing happened to my daughter's 5.5g iPod, so she "sold" it to me (she bought it herself with gift money), and got a 32GB Touch. I then bought the replacement part (with hold switch) on ebay for $12 shipped. I have it here, now not sure what to do with it. I can get a local repair shop to do it for like $30. In the meantime, I had purchased a nice LOD cable from Lil Knight, for my own 16GB Touch, and hooked it up with the 5.5g and my MiniboxE+. All I can say is wow, the SQ from that iPod is outstanding (the cable/amp really bring it to life). I remember not being all that impressed with the HP out when she got it.

Now, I am thinking about reselling the headphone part, because I already have a Zune80 and the Touch for my primary DAPs, with a smattering of Clips for light carrying. No need for the 30GB iPod, other than sitting here at home, listening with the Minibox. I am considering wiping the iPod clean and filling it up with lossless files, of my favorite artists, tracks, CDs, etc. Something to do during the T-Day break. Problem is, my CD collection is only about 1/3 of the music I own, the balance of which was downloaded at 192-320k.

Nov 26, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 17
Yeahh, as far as I know the E5 does.
It's out sometime soon I think.

To replace the part, I think you just pry the case apart, unplug two ribbon cables, remove the battery and unscrew the old part, before screwing in the new one, but the whole point of the thread was to see if anyone had done it succesfully and see if there was any big no's or tips.

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think so. The fiio doesn't have the volume control.

you could use a fiio if you had one of these:Headphone Extension Cord with Volume Control > Maplin
But then why not buy the newer fiio as it would probably be cheaper.
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #10 of 17
I think i'll give the repair a go anyway, for the sake of having a fullly working ipod and for the satisfaction of fixing it (hopefully).

I'll probably give the new fiio a go sometime too, providing its suitably cheap.

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #12 of 17
Changing out the Headphone section isn't hard at all. I've completely taken apart my iPod and put it back together. All you have to do is unscrew 3 screws, screw the new one in, and plug the cable back, all set.

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #13 of 17
Thanks.
As I say, it looks pretty simple, but I thought as I was being quoted £40 for a repair, there'd be some soldering or special machinery needed.
I'll ebay a headphone jack and hold switch tomorrow then.

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 17
@Duffy1207 : I've done this repair before, on an 80GB iPod Video. I used the video guide that tstarn06 mentioned. A few things:

- The loss of one side of the headphone out is probably the jack, so I think you're on the right track.

- Make sure you get the right replacement headphone jack. There are ones for the 30GB Video, and ones for 60GB/80GB Video. I don't know know why, but they are supposedly different.

- The hardest thing, imo, is getting the case open. The guy in the video did that WAY too fast. Just be patient, and be careful. Also, those plastic openers only work a half dozen times or so, before they get blunt or break off.

- Taking the ribbons off is pretty easy. Putting them back in does take some patience, and can take a few tries. And those screws are tiny and can be easily lost - do this on a big white table, if possible.

- Don't close it up completely until you've tested it. It's almost a guarantee that it won't work, if you do (Murphy's Law?).

Cheers.

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #15 of 17
Actually, when I took the case off of mine before, it was easy, because one of the clips had come away from the side and the metal backing was a couple of mm away from the front if you know what I mean.
It happened when I held the dog's lead and my ipod in the same hand for a sec and then the little @##! saw a cat. It made the most horrible sound on the ground when it hit
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back