1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing HD-650's with IEM's for travelling

1. king756
    Hi,

I currently own a pair of HD-650's and Shure SE215's. My main source will be a MacBook Pro with a Dragonfly 1.2 DAC.

I'm due to go traveling doing the digital nomad lifestyle, everything I own in a 40lt carry on. The HD-650's are to big to take unfortunately and being open back are not ideal for travel, I really like the Shure's for the excellent noise isolation, portability and being robust. I have been using them in the office but the sound is considerably lacking when compared to the HD-650's . The 215's sound muted / closed compared to the more open HD-650's. Listening to losseless tracks on Qobuz you can hear parts of a song on the 650's missing from the 215's so I am looking to sell both pairs and get some better IEM's as a compromise.

Does anyone one have any suggestions on IEM's to look at. Sound isolation is important, also comfort, the Shure's fit perfectly where I've had some Etymotic er6i's a long time ago and didn't fit to well as I have a small ear canal. I'd want to spend £3-400 at most. Will I get something comparable to the HD-650's in that price range? The wildcard is the SE846's but I'm trying to talk myself out of it as £779 is a lot of money for a pair of headphones when you're living out of a bag.

2. Spionner
    why no 1964 v6 :D if u can w8

3. Gagarin
    JH16pros :wink:

4. Spionner
    That's 2 times the money o.o and i don't think is twice the SQ

5. Gagarin
    I have the Null Audio Elpis 3 from Singapore, and it sounds like the HD650. It has a dynamic driver for bass, and 2 BA drivers for the rest of the frequencies.