Replacing drivers for Beyerdynamic DT880
Aug 5, 2010 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

tphg

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of DT880 where one drivers isn't working well and I'm thinking of replacing it.
I've read somewhere that 770 and 880 using the same drivers is that true?
I'm thinking of buying a used pair and use the drivers in my own, not sure what they would cost but I'm guessing its cheaper then a new pair.

Anyone have any suggestion on what to do?

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 31
Beyer drivers cost about $50 each (at least from Beyer USA).  Putting them in yourself requires soldering some VERY fine/thin wires though.  I toasted the first one I tried.  Unless you have a great soldering set and feel you have good soldering skills, better to send them to Beyer for repair.

Aug 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 31

Quote:
Beyer drivers cost about $50 each (at least from Beyer USA).  Putting them in yourself requires soldering some VERY fine/thin wires though.  I toasted the first one I tried.  Unless you have a great soldering set and feel you have good soldering skills, better to send them to Beyer for repair.

x2

Aug 5, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 31
Yeah you gotta be careful because the solder pads are close together. I never killed a driver, but I've bridged them in the past. Use some electrical tape to separate the solder tabs from each other before you attempt to solder.

Or I could repair them for you for free. 

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 31
hmm.. the soldering shouldn't be a problem (now that i know what not to do), the big problem is the price. A new pair of drivers cost a lot and even though i only need one it seems like the once i have is, don't know of rare but they don't seem to be the usual type (see img).

I've mailed Beyerdynamic Europe too see what the pricing would be, both sending them there and getting the drivers myself.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #7 of 31
Ok, after a long wait and lots of mail I've found out that a (as in one) new driver will cost me 730skr, around $95 and then another $56 to have someone replacing the old once. =/

I did mail beyerdynamic europe and they told me to contact the swedish distributor.
Anyone in europe that know of a retailer that sell and ship to sweden that sell drivers for DT880?

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 31
That do look great but when i try to register (on the german site)  i can't choose sweden as country and when i go to the english i can't find the drivers at all!

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #11 of 31
Trying with the email. Two mails in little over one week but no response.

Edit: two weeks and two mails, no response what so ever =(

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #12 of 31
Well, no luck at all =(
So beyerdynamic.de don't ship to sweden, it seems like i have to pay up or find somewhere else.
Anyone know of a british store that ship to sweden?

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #13 of 31
What exactly is wrong with the driver? What are the symptoms I mean?

After about a year and a half of daily use my left speaker started to buzz on certain frequencies and I found myself subconciously lowering the volume to stop it. Once I realized it wasn't a figment of my imagination I took apart the driver guessing that a hair or some debris had gotten trapped in the inner membrane area. After getting the membrane exposed, sure enough, several of my thick hairs had worked their way through the 1/4" felt protection pad and weren't just poking the driver, but some had friction welded to it!

I had to carefully remove them with tweezers and pull all the other hairs out of the felt. Now I do monthly maintenance to remove any hairs from the outside of the felt so they don't become inside of the felt.

You may be able to repair your driver is what I'm getting at. The driver material itself is incredibly thin, and it's soft and plyable, which surprised me. Because of this softness and plyability it is easy for wrinkles to form which would ruin the sound. It's easy enough to fix with a little patience, a lot of care, and a piece of office tape to gently pull out the wrinkles. I even pulled the voice coil out on accident and freaked out, but I managed to reseat it and it suffered no ill effects.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #14 of 31
If you bridge a solder joint it's easy enough to fix with an xacto knife or razor blade. I have a solder gun that's easier to use than my pencil iron and for delicate work I will wrap some solid copper wiring around the tip and solder with that. Works great.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #15 of 31
  What exactly is wrong with the driver? What are the symptoms I mean?

After about a year and a half of daily use my left speaker started to buzz on certain frequencies and I found myself subconciously lowering the volume to stop it. Once I realized it wasn't a figment of my imagination I took apart the driver guessing that a hair or some debris had gotten trapped in the inner membrane area. After getting the membrane exposed, sure enough, several of my thick hairs had worked their way through the 1/4" felt protection pad and weren't just poking the driver, but some had friction welded to it!

I had to carefully remove them with tweezers and pull all the other hairs out of the felt. Now I do monthly maintenance to remove any hairs from the outside of the felt so they don't become inside of the felt.

You may be able to repair your driver is what I'm getting at. The driver material itself is incredibly thin, and it's soft and plyable, which surprised me. Because of this softness and plyability it is easy for wrinkles to form which would ruin the sound. It's easy enough to fix with a little patience, a lot of care, and a piece of office tape to gently pull out the wrinkles. I even pulled the voice coil out on accident and freaked out, but I managed to reseat it and it suffered no ill effects.

Dude, thanks a lot. I noticed exactly what you said for a week now, a distinctive buzz happening at some low frequencies on the right driver of my COPs. I thought the driver was toasted.

I just opened it and saw a little ****** hanging right in the middle going a full cm past the white paper material that protects the driver. Next thing I know, I removed the hair and things work great now.

Thanks again !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back