replacing components in a PCB
Nov 2, 2008 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Whitebread

1000+ Head-Fier
One of the transistors in my M3 is bad, how do you guys cleanly and effectively replace the bad components in a PCB? Getting all the solder out so the new component slides right in seems impossible.

Anyone?

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #2 of 7
How to Desolder Electronic Parts

Have a look
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the transistors in my M3 is bad, how do you guys cleanly and effectively replace the bad components in a PCB? Getting all the solder out so the new component slides right in seems impossible.

Anyone?

Tangent's tutorials are great.

I have never managed to use the solder sucker effectively. I use braid. One tip is to ensure that you buy good quality solder braid. The cheap stuff just doesn't work.

Sometimes the solder just won't flow out of the hole, so I put a bit more solder in and try again. It can take 2 or 3 attempts, but it will always come out. Be careful how long you leave the iron on the board. I don't leave it on any langer than a few seconds, and after 2 or 3 attempts I will let the board cool for a minute before trying again

A bit of practice and you'll be fine.

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 7
Any recommendations for some good soldering braid? I'm guessing radioshack's braid is crap?

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Any recommendations for some good soldering braid? I'm guessing radioshack's braid is crap?

It will probably be fine for this. You can always add a dash of flux to it for added solder sucking power.

Nov 2, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 7
Just be careful not to overheat the solder pad while you apply heat to it through the braid. The braid itself should serve to heat-sink the pad as it wicks up the molten solder but just take care not to hold the iron on there longer than necessary.

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #7 of 7
Picked up a solder sucker from ratshack and it worked wonderfully. Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back