replacing chord mojo with DAP
Jun 24, 2017 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

canali

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys..using my mojo and ipod touch 6...since the apple ios update
(even the latest ios update that was supposed to fix the bug on non apple devices)
i still get frequent cck cable dropouts and a message 'this device not compatible'.
plus the brick is cumbersome.

so what sort of DAP would be a good replacement please? preferably something
that won't get dated any time too soon..in the $1-1.5 range, give or take please.

i use Tidal (offline) alot..also have ripped cds and 24/192 files on the Onkyo HD player app.
would not mind even paying for a sound increase over the Mojo: lots of detail, air clarity.
have heard good things on the new ibasso dx200....opus #3, ...the new AK sp1000 out of my price range

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 25
Dx200 tbh

Jun 25, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 25
I was in the same boat. I sold off my Mojo because I didn't want to stack. I already had the Fiio X5iii. I was looking really hard at the Kann, but was holding off. I just decided to keep the X5iii for now and keep watching for something other than the Kann (as I don't really like the looks) to come around for sub $1000 (that still provides a "true" balanced out). Till then, the X5iii keeps my toes tapping.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 25
Truth be told I do not think you can beat the Mojo only come close to it.

Having said that, the Opus thebit #1 is a fine unit at the $400 price point or so. When the FIIO X5III has stable firmware, it may be a contender. At lower price points the Shanling M2S is a fine unit.

My experience feeding anything from an iPhone is mixed. If you want to fix that issue; a good step is to make sure you have the second generation CCK and feed it power while in use. It has a port for that; I power it with an external power mini brick.

The Shanling M1 seems to be a very popular transport for the Mojo. They just released a cable to connect to the Mojo. The M2S is likely to be a good transport.

My advice? Try the M2S as both a standalone and a feeder to the Mojo as step one.

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 25
Chord needs to make a DAP

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 25
Truth be told I do not think you can beat the Mojo only come close to it.

Having said that, the Opus thebit #1 is a fine unit at the $400 price point or so. When the FIIO X5III has stable firmware, it may be a contender. At lower price points the Shanling M2S is a fine unit.

My experience feeding anything from an iPhone is mixed. If you want to fix that issue; a good step is to make sure you have the second generation CCK and feed it power while in use. It has a port for that; I power it with an external power mini brick.

The Shanling M1 seems to be a very popular transport for the Mojo. They just released a cable to connect to the Mojo. The M2S is likely to be a good transport.

My advice? Try the M2S as both a standalone and a feeder to the Mojo as step one.
Thanks but I'm tired of the heavy cumbersome brick. Today I just had my earphones hook up to my iPod Touch as nothing was connecting and it was just so beautiful light and I thought "yep a DAP is the way want to go: no brick...just a single good quality DAP".

Maybe pay more than the ibasso dx200and get better sq? Ak240ss?
Other?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 25
When you need something light and portable, in my opinion, today's iPhones (not much idea on Android world) are much more capable than before. The DAPs which are capable of Tidal offline all depend on Android, and many of them are on older versions of it. We know that DAP manufacturers do not update their Android OS frequently. Chance of your Tidal offline DAP getting obsolete is very likely looking the advancements in OSes and apps lack backward compatibility for most of the time. Other than that even if you do not stack, you will nearly almost all the time have your phone with you and there will be another DAP with you, that is still not lightest option to me. So you want good audio quality, and portability.. Use your phone's offline Tidal on commutes or daytime relaxing and get the best audio quality from an external DAC & amp when you need to. Just my humble opinions..

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 25
If I were you, I would make the switch to 64+ GB iPhone 6s and keep the Mojo. In measurements Mojo bests any DAP out there and since your phone is quite old, you will buy another one soon anyways. Whatever you buy enjoy the good music mate! That is all that matters!

Jul 3, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #13 of 25
Just a thought and I know you'd prefer not to stack . . . I just bought a Shanling M1 DAP and paired it with my Mojo.

The M1 is tiny and you can almost ignore it . . . Check one out if you get the chance. Best $160 I'll spend in 2017. Period.

Jul 3, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 25
The pioneer got me away from stacking ant the dp-x1a looks like a decent contender.

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #15 of 25
You can wait for the lgv30 to come out. I have the v10 and it's great for portablility.

I thought I wanted a dap couple of months ago, so I purchased a x5iii. Well long story short, I'm selling the x5. I've come to terms that I don't want to carry another device when I'm out and about. Besides being a ok phone the v10 is a really good dap.
Plus I find that I still need to stack the x5iii for my power usage. So I decided to get a mojo for my 6s (source only) for home use and use my v10 for portability.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back