Replacing bedroom 2.1 plastic set
Sep 16, 2009 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

CENTRAL

100+ Head-Fier
Initially I thought about buying small self-powered speakers, but then I thought about an excellent amp in the closet (a Marantz PM66 KIS) and turned towards some small bookshelf speaker to complement a bedroom – pc driven set…

Not having contact with current speaker lines I would like some advice here…

I have a very limited space ontop of my desk so I should be looking for something the size of A2s.

Is there some proposal as far as small passive bookshelf speakers go??????

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 13
What kind of budget are you looking at?

I've spent a little time listening to the PSB Alpha B1 pair I gave to mom'n'dad. I haven't compared them against other bookshelf speakers, but they sound very good for the price. If I had to put a pair in a compact space, they would be a the top of my list. They're (IIRC) $279 a pair, but I got a pair on special for just under $200. If they interest you, check out the Stereophile review. They loved them, too.

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 13
Well, I guess I could spend up to 300 euro, but I would also like to specify the size which has to be limited to 6-7 inches or roughly 16cm maximum. The depth will also be very limited.
If this criterion is not met there is no point in buying something. It will not fit the desk.

All I can get is decent. I know. But this is much better than horrible IMO...

Sep 18, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 13
Researching as I use to do before some purchase, I seem to like the Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 system. The satelite size is perfectly small and SQ is reported to be excellent in every review or user opinion I can find.

Price is within range, so it looks like a natural choise.

Any opinions on this set?

Sep 18, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 13
Sep 18, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #6 of 13
Thank you Mark,

I will add these to my shortlist…

Now I have a Trilema…

Aego M 2.1 system vs Audioengine A2 vs Audica Mps1…

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #8 of 13
@Mark:

What would be your expert opinion on the Audica system?

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #9 of 13
well i havent heard the other 2 so cant say how they compare but my thoughts on the audica.

warm rich sound on it, bit more mid bass than i want but this is an issue with all small speakers i think. actully more bass in general than i want but then i like speakers to be bass light or i worry ill piss of the neighbours. i do find they sound very impressive when turned up, really very impressive for their price and size and surprisingly tight punch bass. clarity is good on them too. nothing stunning but they are cheap and tiny, better than i expected.

the other week a friend was round, now he has vague audiophile aspirations (ever since he found out one of hi neighbours has a £100k Linn set up going on) and he immediately says, half question half statement "those are good speakers arent they"

so they are clearly good enough to be instantly impressive.

another friend, a proper audiophile (£20k speakers) he was after some speakers so he could listen to music when at the comp. he bought a set, on my recommendation of those 3 as being the 3 to choose from, he picked the audica's too and he was very impressed with them. said they were good enough to let him listen to music from his computer unlike the things he had before

oh and they look fab btw

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #10 of 13
I think I will chose these or the AE Aegos...

Thanx Mark!!!

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
np happy to help, lol you knom your going to end up having to toss a coin to decide between them

This is a very tough call indeed...

I like my speakers to perform in a musical manner, but in this case there are times I need the ooomph power of the sub (when playing games or watching movies).

I think I lean a bit to the AEs because of that.

Anyway, I think for the money one may not go too wrong with any of the two.

PS. I live in Greece.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back