Replacing Ayre CODEX -- Any recently introduced DAC/amps impressing you?
Dec 7, 2019 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

1Speedster

New Head-Fier
A few years back, at least one reviewer favorably compared the Ayre CODEX DAC/amp to other makes running upwards of $5,000 (and, the dealer claimed he unit also bested Ayre's higher priced models). I paired the unit with some Cardas A8 ear speakers in balanced mode and experienced a seriously crazy improvement in audio quality.

So these days I'm planning to move the CODEX permanently over to my main stereo system (beats the C2500's DAC hands down) and migrate over to a new pair of HD800 S headphones. Alternatively, I suppose I could just as well go the other route and pair up a new DAC with the main stereo and continue using the CODEX exclusively with headphones.

Either way, this decision finds me researching which DAC/amp models available today provide the best combination of value and capability. Budget range of $2,000 to $4,000 but ideally wanting to keep nearer the lower figure. Or, maybe I already have a fine combination DAC/amp four years on and only need to consider a DAC proper for the main system.

My music sources typically consist of .flac files and TIDAL Hi-Fi streaming all via a USB laptop connection (plus, JRiver MC...also within 14-day Roon trial at present but given the lack of a Roon device, I'm not sure it's worthwhile).

Thanks for taking the time to help out the new guy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back