Replacing a retaining wall
May 18, 2006 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hciman77

Headphoneus Supremus
The saga of our ongoing house buying continues. Our landlord has come back with a more reasonable offer on the house we are living in i.e (n - 15K) which we are happier with. However this may be contingent on us replacing the garden retaining wall which has degraded badly over time and which he would have to repair if he sold the house empty.

The wall is approx 25 foot by 4 foot and the landlord wants to replace it with something called Anchor Stone Blocks, I estimate that the materials cost including about 30ft of new fencing would come in at about $1K. The contractors would have to pull the old wall down - frankly I could do this in 2 minutes as a local lad destroyed one of the breeze blocks with a stout stick and the blocks are not very sound, then they would rip down a run of metal fencing, dispose of all the rubbish and rebuild the wall and add new (say 30ft) fencing.

I really have no idea how much a decent contractor would charge for this and so am a bit hesitant. Has anybody else here had experience in such a wall-oriented venture?. If it is likely to come in at $5K we would probably go with it if it is likely to be $15K then it is a zero gain event.....

May 18, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 5
Short answer. The bids could range anywhere in that pricerange. Get several bids and choose the contractor you feel best about. Don't lowball it, but no need to pay top dollar either. Ask him or her to show you some of their previous retaining walls. If they make excuses move on. Hopefully the previous clients will be there when he shows you. How they act around him or her will tell you a lot.

P.S.
Anchor Stone is a viable DIY project if you've got the time. You can get good info online and I'm sure there are videos available.

May 19, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Short answer. The bids could range anywhere in that pricerange. Get several bids and choose the contractor you feel best about. Don't lowball it, but no need to pay top dollar either. Ask him or her to show you some of their previous retaining walls. If they make excuses move on. Hopefully the previous clients will be there when he shows you. How they act around him or her will tell you a lot.

P.S.
Anchor Stone is a viable DIY project if you've got the time. You can get good info online and I'm sure there are videos available.

Thanks for the heads up, turns out that the landlord will pay for the wall to be fixed himself
cool.gif

May 19, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #4 of 5
Don't forget about permitting. It's certain the City or County will take their bite and run you though the paperwork.

As for the wall itself, take a close look at why the original one failed. Was it due to drainage or some other type of damage? It may be worth having a soil engineer take a look- he could give advice/design tips to keep the new one from the same fate. Also, see if planting ground cover, etc. might also help keep the soil together.

If there are other retaining walls in your neighborhood, talk to your neighbors to see who did their work.

May 19, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
Thanks for the heads up, turns out that the landlord will pay for the wall to be fixed himself
cool.gif

Ahhh, best outcome of all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back