Replacement laptop screen
Oct 10, 2008 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

intoflatlines

Headphoneus Supremus
My girlfriend's laptop screen broke and I thought I would check out the different options we have for replacing it (the screen). What are some sites that you have had a good experience with for buying replacement screens?

A google search for replacement laptop screens yields a bunch of results, but I don't know how many of those sites are legit.

The model is an HP Pavilion zt3000 (1280xsomething, I believe.)

I know some of you might suggest just purchasing a brand new laptop, as the zt3000 is old, but we would rather spend ~250-300 for a new screen than even $500 for a new laptop because money is kind of tight, unless there is an amazingly good deal out there.

Thanks in advance, Member's Lounge!

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 8
I broke the screen on my Dell D600 a few years ago and I ended up finding another D600 on eBay that had a good screen but bad motherboard. It was much cheaper then buying a new replacement screen.

Also another thing to consider is she could make the laptop into a desktop and just get an external monitor.

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 8
Definitely buy off of eBay; the retail prices for replacement screens are astronomical compared to the refurbished/new ones you can find on eBay. Heck, I've been through my fair share of replacement screens around eBay, and they passed my OCD test.
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 8
well.... I work in GST (a computer related service provider) during the summer, and there were few laptops that has broken screens...

from what I can tell..... I recommend you to just go on ebay and try to find another laptop. Because the cost of fixing the monitor by sending in repair is not worth it.

out of all those laptop sent to the company, all of them need to be repair by switching the top part of the laptop, and the labor cost and parts is almost ($200~$400 off a 1500 laptop) for you to just a new one though e-bay

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 8
I definitely wouldn't send the laptop anywhere to get the screen replaced, I would be able to do it myself in a couple of minutes. I pretty much am just wondering what places people have bought replacement LCD screens at, and what they recommend.

If I come across a good laptop for a good price, I might consider it but the problem is that my girlfriend is used to her computer and likes it how it is. She's not really one to want to get a new laptop if you know what I mean.

Oct 11, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 8
I meant just search eBay for the same laptop or another HP with the same screen and put it into your broken laptop. It is much easier and way cheaper then a new screen is going to be.

Oct 11, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 8
HP Pavilion zt3000, googled it and that's a 6.5 pounder from 2003 right? Seriously you should just sell it on ebay for $50-100 and get a sub $400 netbook.

She will love the small size and under 2.5 pounds weight. It will fit in her handbag and you can get one in pink if she wishes.
smily_headphones1.gif
Honestly all the women who have seen my eeepc always try to fit it in their handbags and rave about the lightness. Just make sure she gets to see it in real life. Yes a netbook is underpowered to today standards but not 2003, it will outperform the HP and run for 5-7 hours on battery. A good model is the Acer aspire one with 6 cell battery or eeepc 901 both available for around $399 and run for 5-7 hours. If you can live with less battery life and Linux instead of Windows XP (you can install it yourself) you can get models for less than $350.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back