Replacement Headphones for Sony S63x, under £100?
Nov 19, 2008 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cordova

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a Sony S639 DAP, and am considering upgrading the supplied headphones (MDR-EX082LP's) to something "nicer". I have a budget of around £100, although I'd rather keep things in the £75 range. Ideally, I'm after something with a nice balanced characteristic/reproduction, as I'm not a fan of overly-predominant bass-lines.

I listen to the following types of music:
  1. modern [instrumental] jazz, electrified and acoustic varieties (Chick Corea Quartet/Electric Band, Stanley Clarke, Esbjorn Svensson Trio)
  2. blues & blues-rock (Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, Free)
  3. classic & modern rock (Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, 3 Doors Down)
  4. instrumental blues/rock (Andy Timmons, Joe Satriani)
  5. pop/soft rock (Sheryl Crow, Counting Crows)

Does anyone have any recommendations for something that would fit my requirements? I had been pointed in the direction of Sennheiser CX 95's, which I can get off of Amazon for £40. Shure SE210/310's run to £65/110 respectively, but, to be honest, I've been a bit put off by the "cracking cable" reports, and the frequency response range doesn't seem as good (although one cannot read too much into paper specifications - it's no good being able to produce a wider frequency range if it's more distorted, etc).

Thanks in advance for any help!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 6
Etymotic HF5 (not sure what the UK price is but its $150 US) or Denon C751 would probably be good. Etymotic phones fit sony players nicely, and the C751 is a good value and balanced for all types of music. The HF5 is a little bit bass shy, but sony players can easily fix that to however you like.

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for that.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've had a quick look for the Etymotics, and I can only find the ER6's (~ £90) over here? The Denon's are a touch pricey at £1310-150. I had considered the C551's, which were about £70, but I had heard they were a touch on the bassy side? I guess I have a couple of things to research over the weekend.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 6
The ER 6i (not 6, 6i) is essentially the HF2's baby brother (the 6 is the extremely bass-shy hard-to-drive version but if you're a detail freak will sound a little nicer) and has similar sound. I have the 6i's with my Sony 61x and it works very well. For music that I want more bass with, a simple +1 on the EQ for bass works very well.

I don't know much about the 551's, sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back