Replacement for my Shure SCL4s?
Mar 1, 2011 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

waterwagen

New Head-Fier
So, my second set of Shure SCL4s have cracked wires and I'm out of warranty. Replacement cost with Shure is $109, which I'm tempted to pay because I LOVE the sound of these earphones. However, I'm tired of this cycle of cracked wires. Can anyone suggest some current earphones that have similar sound quality and sound "signature" but better durability?

Specifically, I listen to a lot of talk audio (such as podcasts and movies), electronica, rock, and some pop and classical. Despite some of my music choices there, I don't think I want something bass heavy (as I've discovered with my pair of Klipsch S4s, which sound over the top on the low end). My SCL4s were definitely not bass heavy, but I enjoyed the clear mid and high range on them.

The SCL4s were my introduction to high-end IEMs (the best I had before that was some Shure E2cs, and then just a bunch of crummy ~$50 Sonys), so I don't have a lot of experience with different brands or models. I like the Shures I've had, so I'd prefer to stay there, but I'm open to other brands.

Thanks much.

Mar 2, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 7
The SE315 and SE425 should both be an upgrade to the SCL4.

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 7
They have some more bass, better detail, better refinement in the bass and treble. The mids of the SCL4 are quite good the other two don't really improve on this but add more to both ends where the SCL4 weakens.

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 7
So, I went ahead and ordered the SE425. About a half hour into listening to them and WOOOW. Worth every penny.

These things encompass the exact improvements I wanted on my SCL4s (replaceable cable, significantly improved bass, somewhat improved treble) while retaining what I loved about the SCL4s (great mid-range, clarity).

I would even say these are noticeably clearer even than my SCL4s. And the balance between the sounds in all the different ranges completely hits the spot for me. The bass is great, without feeling overwhelming or "focused on". Even the beefy cable makes me happy (one thing I liked better on my E2c pair over my SCL4s). Not an audiophile, but something about the sound is extremely accurate/crisp/responsive (best I can describe it).

Very happy with these so far. We'll see if burn-in makes any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back