1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Replacement for Cowon J3

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by mbphotox, Mar 19, 2019.
  1. mbphotox
    I'm looking for a replacement for my trusted and beloved Cowon J3 for travelling.

I do own a FiiO X5II, but I don't really find much of an audible difference when riding in a train/plane. It does, however, fail to last a single day, which is a real buzzkill for me!

What am I looking for:
    - A player with super long (50+ hours on mp3 tracks) battery life
    (need not be super light, because carrying my X5II with powerbank is close to 500g.)
    - 24bit Flac capability (I don't hear a difference, but I don't want to convert my files to 16bit either)

I don't need fancy eqs, balanced output, huge touch screen, got no need for amp cards, dsd support, 1TB internal memory, or sabre flagship DAC chips...

...phones used:
    I use the iBasso IT01 IEM and my Beyerdynamic DT1350 (replaced my HD25-1/II a few years ago) when travelling.

Afaik, there's not much need for super strong amping, since the J3 doesn't go beyond 20 - 25 (volume) with the iBasso, or ~30 - 35 with the DT1350.

So far, my current favorite would be a Plenue D, but Im open for other recommendations.