Replacement for a Burson Conductor?

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by Climber, Dec 14, 2017.
  1. Climber
    I'm thinking about replacing my Conductor (about 5 years old with ES9018), mostly because it is overkill for how I use it.
    • I never use it as a preamp
    • I often don't use it as a DAC (sometimes feeding it Bimby or Mojo instead of using the internal)
    • It's really damn big
    I do however really like the fundamental sound: Beefy, rich, dynamic, but with enough detail to be gentle, sweet, and beautiful when called upon. Right now my short list is as follows:
    • iFi Micro Black Label
    • Schiit Jotunheim
    • Neve RNHP
    • Arcam rHead
    Can anyone with experience on some of these comment on if they're true lateral moves from the Burson, or even improvements? I'm open to other options as well, including tubes.

Or ... am I best off sticking with Burson, instead -- either with what I have, or moving to the smaller Soloist?

Right now my primary headphones are FAD Sonorous III, ATH-AD900X, Meze 99 Classics, Massdrop Noble X, and Venture Electronics Zen 2. Next year, though, I plan on adding either a mid-level planar -- Mr. Speakers Aeon, maybe? -- or a Focal Elear.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. Climber
    No comparison opinions, huh? I guess I'll just have to start buying stuff ...

3. Climber
    Well, I have no idea what I'm going to replace it with but I just posted it for sale here if anyone's interested.

4. SaddleSC
    I have the Burson Conductor and I recently upgraded to the Violectric V281. If you don't need the preamp features and want to save a bit of money, you could go with the V280. The Violectric amps have a similar sound signature (slightly warm but very detailed) to the Burson, but everything is better. I am very very happy with this amp!

Climber likes this.
  5. Climber
    Very helpful, thank you!

What else did you look at/listen to before settling on the Violectric?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018