Replacement cable for V-MODA M100
Jan 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

devonuto

New Head-Fier
I'm not a real fan of the V-MODA's standard cables.  I prefer something a bit more flexible, with a bit of a rubbery feel.

Anyway, I'm looking for a replacement, something along the lines around 1m (3 feet) long, male to male 3.5mm cable.  I would make up my own, but in order for the cable to fit the headphones, the jack casing can be no wider than 6mm, which makes putting together custom ones quite difficult.

Does anyone know of any over-the-counter cables that might do what I'm after?

Cheers.

PS: Not really fussed about having a mic, or controls on the cable itself, as I usually run the audio through an AMP.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 35
will audio technica's AT-CA44s work for M100? and work well?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php%3FmodelId%3D790&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dat-ca44s%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den

Sep 23, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 35
C´mon, bump! Don´t bury all those juicy cable choices in the main m-100 thread, it´s 800-pages long.

These are recommended by the company itself: http://www.moon-audio.com/moon-audio-blue-dragon-headphone-cable.html

Price is laughable, really, and the blue colour is garish, but the sound description looks like it brings what the m-100s are missing. The vocals forward. Without bass reduction they tend to swallow some luster from the vocal timber.

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #7 of 35
Here's a list of working cables that I've personally tested:

Radio Shack Auvio cables
Beats cables (all versions)
B&O H6 Cable (Buttons and mic iOS compatible)

I also found some no name cables at a clothing store in my neighborhood in Brooklyn that fit. If you have your M-100 while you're out, just check and see if any random cables you come across have a plug housing that's as thin or thinner than your V-MODA cable.

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #8 of 35
This is what I use. http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/281199686467

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #9 of 35
  This is what I use. http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/281199686467

That's awesome...I'm glad they show different lengths available.  I commonly use a bluetooth device as the actual source of my music, so for my 598's I had a guy make me up a very short cable.  He kept asking me if I was sure I wanted one as short as I asked, but he made it and it was perfect.

Maybe that seller could make me up the length I'd want (if I remember correctly, it was something like 9 inches...since I wear that device on my shirt collar.  I might be picking up the m100's this week, if I do I'll be sure to send that seller a message!

Jun 23, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 35
Besides the Moon-audio options which I am reluctant to pay more than my headphones had costed for a non-detachable cord to be implemented in to my cans, but want to be able to have a cord run to both earcups. I reached V-Moda support who would not provide a cord able to purchase, but advised having a wire run to each cup will lower resistance on the speakers, which will provide slightly better quality.

Anyone have any ideas I looked at the Denon AH-D600/700 replacements you can find on amazon/ebay that will fit, but they are 1 pole, does anyone know if they would work on these as everything with the V-moda's is usually a 3 pole tap. 

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #11 of 35
Besides the Moon-audio options which I am reluctant to pay more than my headphones had costed for a non-detachable cord to be implemented in to my cans, but want to be able to have a cord run to both earcups. I reached V-Moda support who would not provide a cord able to purchase, but advised having a wire run to each cup will lower resistance on the speakers, which will provide slightly better quality.

Anyone have any ideas I looked at the Denon AH-D600/700 replacements you can find on amazon/ebay that will fit, but they are 1 pole, does anyone know if they would work on these as everything with the V-moda's is usually a 3 pole tap. 

The denon cable won't work, utensils that seller will make one that fits the V-moda. Just inform him that you need the dual output side to be 3 pole 3.5mm for use with your V-moda headphones. Love the added sound quality te cable has provided

Sep 10, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #12 of 35
I recently posted this in the M-100 thread.

"The effect on sound of the double-ended cable, while subtle, is notable and is now my preferred way to listen to the M-100s. It's hard to describe the difference other than saying it sounds a little... "more." I originally planned to only use the double-ended cable at home, but it sounds so good I put up with the slight annoyances of taking it on the go. Here is my experience.

For portable use it's a bit of a pain as the cable is long and thick and likes to form twists and loops if you move your phone or DAP around a lot. Simply rotating the headphone jack will undo most of the twisting, but it is annoying and something to be aware of.

Walking around I didn't notice much of a comfort difference between single-sided and double-sided cable entry, which was an initial worry of mine.

I think it has to do with the Y-splitter. It's a precision machined piece of aluminum that's just heavy enough to keep the cables above the Y-split straight while not adding any perceived weight to the headphones. The Y-splitter sits just below my chest and both ends of the cable stay out of the way when turning my head. 

The braided fabric on the lower half of the cable is black interwoven with specks of red. It is heavy-duty and annoyingly microphonic causing zipper-like sounds when it brushes against something, like your pant leg or a passing pomeranian. The headphone jack, while beautifully crafted with a substantial spring-coil strain relief, is large and not too friendly to shallower pockets.

The ends that plug into the M-100 are marked with small letters indicating Left and Right channels, but it's a small annoyance searching for white markings on tiny silver cylinders. I used a bit of colored tape make the distinction more obvious.

They also look pretty nice plugged into the headphones.

For a little less than $20, I think this cable is a nice upgrade to a headphone that I've loved listening to for years.

You can find it on Amazon here and eBay here(black) and here(red)."

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #13 of 35
The denon cable won't work, utensils that seller will make one that fits the V-moda. Just inform him that you need the dual output side to be 3 pole 3.5mm for use with your V-moda headphones. Love the added sound quality te cable has provided

Yeah, I had an Amazon store custom make one with the right connections and now its for sale. You can look up V-moda m-100 or XS upgrade cable now. I sent them Diagrams and everything explaining. This riddle was previously solved and there is now an available item on the market for it as a result. :)

Edit: I do appreciate the look out though :D    I'm sure you had done what I've done a bunch of times, respond to an older post then realized later on in the thread, the inquiry was resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back