Replace my dear Westone 3.. It is dieing..
Aug 22, 2017 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

soyama

Head-Fier
Hi.

It's been a while. I have been very happy with my westone 3/w3 unit..

Sadly enough I have less money these days and need a new headset for a more affordable price.

I see prices for the new good iems are quite a bit higher now than 7 years ago.

Could you guys recommend me a replacement unit for a budget at around 50-300$usd ?

I was considering getting just a shure se535, but would like alternatives.

The soundstage of w3 is quite ok with me. I don't get any WOW feeling from it, but it sounds great to me.

Thanks for all input and help.

Aug 23, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 14
^
Find FLC8S on sale (eBay hovers around the $300 US area higher/lower) and you'll be good to go.

Aug 23, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 14
^
Find FLC8S on sale (eBay hovers around the $300 US area higher/lower) and you'll be good to go.

Thanks S2N :)

Looks like a solid contender, I will check out some more reviews and see how I can get this one to scandinavia :D
They look a bit frail though, and finicky with all the filters and mods you can do to it.

It looks like its been around for a while though, does anyone have a set which has seen daily/often use over a few years?
My westone 3 lasted me 6 years+..

Aug 23, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 14
Thanks S2N :)

Looks like a solid contender, I will check out some more reviews and see how I can get this one to scandinavia :D
They look a bit frail though, and finicky with all the filters and mods you can do to it.

It looks like its been around for a while though, does anyone have a set which has seen daily/often use over a few years?
My westone 3 lasted me 6 years+..

I use mine daily and they hold up well. the blue set I've had for over a year and I recently bought the reds (around $375 CDN) to use with a balanced cable. They may "look frail", especially the red ones, but they are indeed very durable. Yes, filters can be finicky at first, the real danger is losing the tiny ones. But the filters also give you a lot of options and adaptability when acquiring new daps, amps, and such and the combinations do make a difference. Check out the official FLC8S thread in this forum for great info.

I have Westone W4 & W3 (fixed cable versions) which rarely get used now although I think they are great in their own right. I'd be hard pressed after my lengthy time with the Westones to settle for any other iem priced lower in the $50 ~ $300 US as you intend.

Aug 24, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #7 of 14
Yes,Signal2Noise.. I am a bit worried about that myself too..
Been reading on the FLC8S thread, and it seems its had its issues too.

However it looks very promising.

Oscar-Hifi: Primacy looks like it would stick a bit out of the ears, I live in norway and we have winters:D which means wearing caps for like 30% of the year.. That is why I prefer my iems to be mostly in the ear, not stick out as much.

The ibasso IT03 looks better in that regard, but requiring a better source.. i have horrible Iphone SE at the moment and I doubt that has a strong driver.. Haven't checked, since a potato could run my westone 3's it hasn't been needed.

Thanks for all the input! :)

Aug 24, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 14

Oscar-Hifi: Primacy looks like it would stick a bit out of the ears, I live in norway and we have winters:D which means wearing caps for like 30% of the year.. That is why I prefer my iems to be mostly in the ear, not stick out as much.

The ibasso IT03 looks better in that regard, but requiring a better source.. i have horrible Iphone SE at the moment and I doubt that has a strong driver.. Haven't checked, since a potato could run my westone 3's it hasn't been needed.

it03 is 8 ohm. you can connect it to a potato and still get sound :D

btw primacy is really a small iem.

Aug 24, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 14
it03 is 8 ohm. you can connect it to a potato and still get sound :D

I read somewhere the lows will sound a bit mushy while the highs and overall soundstage will come across as being scalloped.

Aug 25, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #10 of 14

The New Primacy sits really flush in your ears, and does not stick out at all :)

Aug 26, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #11 of 14
Wish there were somewhere near my town you could try these iems.. :)

Rather hopeless here in Norway I think.

Thanks for your input, the Primacy is back into consideration as well then :)

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 14
I would like to recommend consider fact, that some of proposed earphones have different sound signature, than your W3. Primacy and iBasso are both hybrid models and their sound will be big change for you. You should think first, if that si what you are looking for. I had W3 and I had both of mentioned earphones and according to my opinion are Oriveti Basic much closer to W3 sound, than Primacy. From my perspective would be better option Campfire Audio Nova or Custom Art Ei.3. Both are not easy to get as the second hand, but in case of Custom Art you should be able get new directly from CA.
Or you can have a look on ChiFi market. There are few good earphones too in these days. And pricewise you can save maybe more than half of your budget.

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #13 of 14
I would like to recommend consider fact, that some of proposed earphones have different sound signature, than your W3. Primacy and iBasso are both hybrid models and their sound will be big change for you. You should think first, if that si what you are looking for. I had W3 and I had both of mentioned earphones and according to my opinion are Oriveti Basic much closer to W3 sound, than Primacy. From my perspective would be better option Campfire Audio Nova or Custom Art Ei.3. Both are not easy to get as the second hand, but in case of Custom Art you should be able get new directly from CA.
Or you can have a look on ChiFi market. There are few good earphones too in these days. And pricewise you can save maybe more than half of your budget.

Thanks for pointing it out the difference in sound signatures, its always in the back of my head, and most of the phones and iems i've tried have been quite different.
however, the brain adapts :D I value fit and comfort almost more than sound at times.
That said, the sound quality and performance are of course vital..

If not i would just use the buds that came with my phone or something.. (lousy fit and isolation on them though)

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #14 of 14
I tried Primacy.
The sound was nice, but sadly the iems would not stay properly inserted..
Was most problematic when I'm wearing a winter-cap, not really applicable to go without one where I live, gets cold.

the sounds changes from full and nice to a tin-can-kind of sound when the seal isn't good anymore,

I figure I should just stick with the iems that share tips I know works well.. Shure and westone are the ones I know of.
Thinking of trying Shure se535 or W40 now..

Any of you know any other iems that could fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back