Repairing Grado headbands.
May 15, 2014 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

GasMaskMan

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
The C shaped cup holder's little nubs broke on my SR-325is.
Now this has happened before and glue solved the problem.  This time, however, one of the nubs sheared off inside the hole on the cup.
Was wondering if anyone here knew how to yank it out without damaging the headphones?
Also does anyone know if you can just buy parts for the headbands?

Picture of the nub.

May 15, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 15
Yanking that out is going to be a pain. You could take the cup apart, then push it out with a small screwdriver, or you could superglue another small piece of plastic onto it, then pull it out when it's dry.

As for spare parts, give Grado a call or an email, they will send you a spare for free. I needed the exact same part replaced and they sent it to me for free, they even paid for shipping!

May 15, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 15
  Yanking that out is going to be a pain. You could take the cup apart, then push it out with a small screwdriver, or you could superglue another small piece of plastic onto it, then pull it out when it's dry.

As for spare parts, give Grado a call or an email, they will send you a spare for free. I needed the exact same part replaced and they sent it to me for free, they even paid for shipping!

Thanks man. Kind of scared to take this apart (most times I do that, I end up breaking whatever I just opened).

May 15, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 15
Yeah, taking apart the 325is is no easy task either. If you have a hair dryer, you can stick it onto the metal cup to melt the glue holding the plastic cup/metal cup together, then gently yank the plastic cup out once the glue melted.

May 15, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 15
  Yeah, taking apart the 325is is no easy task either. If you have a hair dryer, you can stick it onto the metal cup to melt the glue holding the plastic cup/metal cup together, then gently yank the plastic cup out once the glue melted.

Then glue them back together ooor?

May 15, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 15
I would spend some time working the little plastic thingy out of the hole before you resort to taking the headphones apart. 

Try gentle suction, forced air, prying with an exacto-knife (if there is any plastic above the surface..) or other similar techniques. 

If you have VERY steady hands you may be able to drill a tiny hole in the plastic and screwing a screw into it, then pulling out. 

Taking Grados apart is a PITA. 

May 15, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 15
^ Yes to all of the above, except maybe the drill, unless you're sure of yourself... That one can be hazardous (I speak from experience) 
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 15
It seems to be realllly jammed in there.
Of all things, I pried it out with the can opener on my leatherman.

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 15
It...happened again on the opposite side (i think?).
This time both sheared off, and only one would come out, think I'll have to take apart the cup, the other one just slowly shaved away while trying to get it out.
Not sure I really want to ask for another replacement (seems lame to do).

Jul 4, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #13 of 15
Problem is it's not easy to find those little plastic parts anywhere else! I tried to make one out of wood before I emailed Grado for a replacement, but it just wasn't optimal, it's really hard to make something that small just the right size.

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #14 of 15
  Problem is it's not easy to find those little plastic parts anywhere else! I tried to make one out of wood before I emailed Grado for a replacement, but it just wasn't optimal, it's really hard to make something that small just the right size.

Most definitely!
Thing is I'd probably be asking for 2 or 3 because I had this issue with my other pair as well.  And it feels awkward asking for that (again).

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #15 of 15
  Most definitely!
Thing is I'd probably be asking for 2 or 3 because I had this issue with my other pair as well.  And it feels awkward asking for that (again).

No choice unfortunately, the only other option is to just change the whole headband assembly. You can buy some really nice gimbals from Martin Custom Audio but they're expensive, or you can use the headband+gimbals from other headphones (I forgot the brand for one of them, the other is a Sony headphone but I forgot the model #), might be worth asking about this in the Post your Grado mods thread or the Grado Fan Club thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back