Repairing broken IEMs
Sep 30, 2011 at 7:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jkh13

New Head-Fier
I now have three IEMs that have the same problem... one of the buds has stopped working leaving me only with either the left or right audio. I haven't got any spares anymore and I don't have the money to buy another pair so was wondering how easy it is to fix this problem?

The pair I most want to get fixed are my RE0s, I had them working for nearly two years before they went. The other two pairs are my bose triports and the AKG k340s. 

Sep 30, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 5
For the RE0, it's probably either the driver housing/connections or the driver itself, neither of which are easy to fix. For your two fullsized cans, it could be the drivers, the internal wiring, or the cable. None of them are "easy" to fix (all hail replaceable cables), but if it's the internal wiring or the external cable, it should at least be possible.

Sep 30, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #3 of 5
On the RE0s I can sometimes get it to work with both sides by twisting the connector in the socket until it worked, so I guess it isn't the drivers or internal wiring. That leaves the external wiring or the connector itself.

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 5
Had a go at rewiring the jack today, got a stereo connector and got out the soldering iron. Made a mess of it though :frowning2: couldn't for the life of me get the left and right channels separate, ended up trying 3 times before I gave up as the cord was getting shorter everytime I was messing up. Does anyone know any service in the UK preferably London that will do something like this for cheap? I have all the parts but just lack the skill to repair the jack 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back