Repairing A900's damage
Jun 26, 2005 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Lord Chambers

New Head-Fier
After a year of regular use I noticed that the outermost layer of material on my A900 muffs had torn away. I'm not even sure when it happened. The material is too light to be felt by touch, and I always store my headphones on my right so I rarely catch a glimpse of that left can. I don't know if it was some sort of wear from use or if I caught it on some sharp hairs or what.

And it doesn't bother me, since I can't feel it at all, but I don't want the damage to spread. And it looks bad.

phonedamage.jpg

Any suggestions on how to fix that myself? I'm not too keen on paying $50 for some replacement earpads when only the most superficial layer is peeling. (http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Au..._ATH-A900.html)

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 15
I would just go ahead and strip the rest of the pleather off, leaving the fabric. Should be more comfy during the summer..

Jun 26, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
I would just go ahead and strip the rest of the pleather off, leaving the fabric. Should be more comfy during the summer..

I'm not sure if this was a joke. It's not pleather, it's super soft and super light fabric. It's like toilet paper crossed with air.

So, it's not a problem even when I'm hot.

Jun 26, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #4 of 15
Looks like the stuff peeling off is pleather to me. Pleather is usually coated on top of a fabric of some sort.

Jun 26, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #6 of 15
Can you just peel it all off....? So youre left with a velour/felt like fabric? I did this with an MDRV200.
?????

garrett

Jun 26, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
Looks like the stuff peeling off is pleather to me. Pleather is usually coated on top of a fabric of some sort.

True, I don't know really what the hell pleather is. I thought it was just imitation leather like you might find on a couch. Thick, like leather. Annnnnnnnyway.

Jun 27, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #10 of 15
I know what it feels like. What it feels like is not the point. Is the material underneath coarse or "itchy"? If not, just strip the weird pleather/whatever off, and enjoy cloth pads! I doubt there is any way to fix your existing pads.

Jun 27, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 15
i am guessing it would be fine to rip it off....if that ever happens to mine...i will probably do teh same

Jun 27, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #13 of 15
same thing happened wiht my a500's

Is there any easy way to strip pleather? It's really hard to strip off mine

*edit* run the pads under water and just pick at it repeadetly and it comes off pretty well. But after removing the pleather, it changed the audio signature of my a500's. They sound alot brighter now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back