removing the smell of smoke from headphones?
Aug 15, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #47 of 58
Hey all,
I placed mine in the freezer after removing the battery.
I removed them and put them in an sir conditioned room to remove the moisture.
After 2 attempts the smell was gone .

Not sure if this will damage the electronics but it shouldn't since they ship all over the world in regular containers.

I recently got a pair of HD650 off of the FS forum, and they are in flawless condition aside from the smell of smoke. One of the previous owners had to of been a chimney
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, they're not that bad but being a non-smoker I can definitely smell it in the cable and the headphones.

The cable is not a problem, I can simply replace it... same with the pads.

But as for the plastic, I'm not sure what to do here. I've cleaned it a bit with soap, but of course the smell is still there. I don't want to damage them in any way of course.

Anyone with any suggestions?

Thanks!

George

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #49 of 58
This thread is pretty old, but I keep getting linked here. 

I recently got a few pairs of great headphones (D7000, T1, HD650) that are in great shape, but smell just horrible. Previously owned by a chain smoker. 

I took them apart and cleaned each piece with vinegar and water. The blue microfiber cloth I used was black when I finished. 

I washed the pads in warm water and laundry detergent. 

I then placed them in a sealed box for 2 days with a bowl of vinegar, followed by 2 days with a bowl of baking soda. 

While this did reduce the smell somewhat, they still smell quite bad from up close. I don't have access to an ozone generator so I have no idea what to try next. 

I think new ear pads would help greatly, but I'm still worried about the rest of the parts smelling. I also have no idea how to clean the leather pads on the Denons, and the T1s are quite difficult to clean. This whole process certain made me appreciate the easy to disassemble Sennheisers.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe there has been some advancement in this area in the past year? xD

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #50 of 58
Activated charcoal is extremely effective at absorbing odorants from the air. Also, if you like the smell of coffee, coffee grounds or beans can also neutralize the odor. I placed a handful of coffee beans in my headphone case overnight and am about to go out and get some charcoal myself. Will probably have to go through a few packs to get rid of all the smell.

Update: Coffee didn't really work, baking soda got rid of the smell from the case but not the equipment, so switching to charcoal. Used coffee filters to pack the charcoal into layers and stuffed them in with the equipment.

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #51 of 58
I'm happy to say that activated charcoal yielded extremely good overnight results. While the smell is still there, it's significantly less pungent. I am convinced the smell will completely disappear within a week or two. You can find this kind of activated charcoal anywhere they sell aquarium supplies.

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #52 of 58
  I'm happy to say that activated charcoal yielded extremely good overnight results. While the smell is still there, it's significantly less pungent. I am convinced the smell will completely disappear within a week or two. You can find this kind of activated charcoal anywhere they sell aquarium supplies.

Just like on them cancer sticks with charcoal filters, makes the fingers smell less, and person for some reason!
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #54 of 58
Activated charcoal is extremely effective at absorbing odorants from the air. Also, if you like the smell of coffee, coffee grounds or beans can also neutralize the odor. I placed a handful of coffee beans in my headphone case overnight and am about to go out and get some charcoal myself. Will probably have to go through a few packs to get rid of all the smell.

Update: Coffee didn't really work, baking soda got rid of the smell from the case but not the equipment, so switching to charcoal. Used coffee filters to pack the charcoal into layers and stuffed them in with the equipment.

I tried a lot of stuff, but the only thing that helped was taking apart the thing as much as I dared and clean it with crc electronic cleaner and a swab. The smell is in a layer of fat that clings pretty hard to any surface exposed. I also sent the pads a round in the washing machine (velour pads)

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #55 of 58

Thanks for the additional tip, I'll try this. 

I'm cursing everyone who has ever made a pair of headphones without detachable cables.. and those cloth cables, man do they absorb the smoke smell. The foam in the cups holds the smell really heavily as well. 

I gave up and ordered new cables for those that are detachable, new cups for all and new foam for those that I could find.. the thick foam rings in the D7000s are difficult to find. 

Will try the charcoal, ordered some on Amazon. 

Jan 1, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #56 of 58
I bought a 2nd pair of AKG K400 headphones that really stunk like cigarette smoke, did the baking soda thing with minor results. Washed the pads, but they still smelled.

Then I got pet store activated carbon bags/pads thanks to the suggestions on this thread. Small zip lock bag with the AKG pads up against the activated carbon and 1 week later, I got really good results, much better than expected as most of the smell is now gone. I think another week or two and I should be good. I also had to wipe the headphones down with alcohol pads to get the embedded nicotine coating off. Worst part is the seller never mentioned the headphones reeked like cigarette smoke to the point they were not wearable. It was also an international buy with pricey shipping.

Jan 1, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #57 of 58
1) good info guys, thanks...hunh, activated charcoal, good.to.know.. Consider that info STORED.
2) THIS is why I do not buy used headphones online!
ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back