removing foam pads from HD-580's
Sep 6, 2002 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bifcake

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys,

I read quite a bit about people removing foam pads from the 580/600 phones. I tried to do it and I don't see how to do it without ripping the foams apart. Can anyone let me know how to go about doing it? Can they be put back in place easily? Please let me know how to do that too.

Thanks

Sep 7, 2002 at 9:40 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for your help! I tried it and I didn't like how the phones sounded without the foams. They sounded like there was an EQ shift. They almost sounded tinny and much more fatiguing. I prefer them the way they are.

Did you find the same to be true?

Sep 7, 2002 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake
Thanks for your help! I tried it and I didn't like how the phones sounded without the foams. They sounded like there was an EQ shift. They almost sounded tinny and much more fatiguing. I prefer them the way they are.
Did you find the same to be true?

There is definitely more treble energy, don't think I would call it tinny. I have Senn 600/Cardas plus Senn 580/Clou foam removed to get two different sounds, depends on what CD is playing as to which is preferred.

Sep 7, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 13
I have a feeling that what 580/600's need is not necessarily any kind of a mod, but a better source. A top notch CD player will make them sing without a need for any modification.

Sep 7, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake
I have a feeling that what 580/600's need is not necessarily any kind of a mod, but a better source. A top notch CD player will make them sing without a need for any modification.

Yes but even with very high end CDP the Senn 600/580 will sound somewhat relaxed compared to other headphones, that is just the way they sound. The good thing about the foam pad is that is can be removed and replaced in a couple minutes, no tools needed.

It is all a matter of personal preference, and even which CD is being played, as to what is preferred. Best advice is just leave the foam alone, but since I have an extra set of 580's it is fun to tweak the sound
cool.gif

Sep 8, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 13
I like the sound of the HD580 without the foam by a long shot. It offers more treble energy with sharper focus. I can see how you can see it fatiguing tho, the HD580 with foam is a very polite phone.

I am of course, someone who enjoy their SR325 too.

Sep 8, 2002 at 7:07 AM Post #8 of 13
Taoster,

It wasn't just that they sounded more fatiguing over long listening, they didn't sound right without the pads. IT was like the entire equalization was shifted across the spectrum. The lushness was gone, the smoothness, the musicality. They sounded not just brighter, but rather tinny almost. It was like the midrange response got shifted a thousand hertz upward.

Sep 8, 2002 at 11:04 AM Post #9 of 13
bifcake, i can see what you are saying and it's probably part of the reason why the foam is placed there in the first place. It's very smooth and *equalised* with it.

without the foam, the hd580 has some of the characteristics of the grado and removes what i dislike most about it, the polite boring music hall soundstage.

perhaps you can found a compromise by trying different materials to replace the foam.. the perfect compromise could just well be the girl-next-door's pantyhose.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 8, 2002 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 13
I posted about this in another thread, but here's a recap. I finally made it to the fabric store -- which was going out of business by the way and gave me a bit extra (more later). I bought two types. the first, and the only one I've tried so far is a very fine, thin nylon mesh. I have my 590s at home, but the 580s are at work so I haven't tried the mod with them.

I think the 590s sound a lot better with the fine nylon mesh. It pretty much cured the slight muffled sound I complained about. I'm going to try two layers today, just for added dust proteciton.

Since I have so much fabric, if anyone is too lazy to go to the store and by their own, I'd be happy to send a piece to make your own coverings. PM me if interested.

Sep 8, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
the perfect compromise could just well be the girl-next-door's pantyhose.
very_evil_smiley.gif

With the girl next door's pantyhose in hand, who's got time to sample headphones?
very_evil_smiley.gif

ACS, I would very much like to hear your thoughts on modifying the 580's with the nylon mesh. I have a feeling though that any modification will shift the equalization curve through the entire spectrum. That would kill many of the 580's strengths as much as it would cure some of its weaknesses.

Sep 8, 2002 at 11:28 PM Post #12 of 13
Good pics DarkAngel.

But where can you order replacement earpads for HD600/580?

Sep 9, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 13
fredpb:

For HD580 and HD600. Or try shopping around on the net for better pricing.

TravelLite

Users who are viewing this thread

Back