Removing foam "cube" - HD555 / 595 cable replacement
Oct 2, 2007 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ADD

500+ Head-Fier
In the cable replacement instructions for these series of headphones, the leaflet makes mention of temporarily removing (what I presume is) the black piece of foam that covers the area near the cable termination.

Trouble is that the leaflet simply says to "remove" the foam, but the foam really does not appear to want to budge. I have thus far tried to pull it out reasonably firmly with fingers only but it really does not want to come out.

Is there some knack to removing this that I am not aware of? I need to remove it without causing any damage to it (or anything else obviously), since it needs to be replaced back into position once I have replaced the cable.

Thanks

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 10
OK, I will give it another shot when the cable arrives. I'm not sure what the bracket is as I don't currently have the phones open to look at them, but I will bear that in mind.

I notice your HD595 phones are recabled. I was just wondering how you did this and what cable you used? Since I have to replace the old cable anyway, it could be an opportunity to upgrade it as well rather than use the stock replacement I have coming.

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 10
I wouldn't mind knowing where one can get a better cable for the 555 as well. I'm waiting for mine to come in the mail, but would like to upgrade the cable.

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 10
Here is a helpful image.

photo0061bv5.jpg

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 10
Yep, my old HD515's have the same foam and connection type. Just comes right out. Also, I JUST realized that HD555/595 use the same cable with that weird right angle connection
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll have some HD580's soon w/ upgraded cable, and if the old cable from those doesn't work with my HD515's, I'll know what I need to get. I use them for gaming and such.

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just PM soloz2, he makes a drop in replacement cable upgrade that I helped design.

Is it a mark improvement on quality, or just a visual improvement? Are there any examples of it across the forums?

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #10 of 10
I'm also interested in a replacement cable for my 555's. can it be done with 3.5' of length and a 3.5mm jack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back