Removing components from PCBs that "grab" leads
May 21, 2005 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pburke

Head-Fier
I'm trying to mod a commercial USB to SPDIF board (M-Audio Transit) and when desoldering components, I had to realize that they are still held in place by the board itself. Is there a special trick to removing these parts, or do you just use the biggest tool that works and hope for the best?

I've been thinking of using a dremel to work down the leads that stick through the bottom, but that would possibly remove the solder pads. Do you cut the top off the component on the other side of the board and then push the leads through?

All those parts are tiny and I don't want to break things before I am even installing stuff

Peter

May 22, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 6
The Transit has holes which simlply fit the leads VERY tightly. My mods involved blasting the pad with heat and yanking hard. Make sure you yank the right part because I broke every cap and chip I removed.

May 22, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by pburke
I've been thinking of using a dremel to work down the leads that stick through the bottom, but that would possibly remove the solder pads.

Yes, this is a bad idea.

Quote:

Do you cut the top off the component on the other side of the board and then push the leads through?

I've done that frequently, yes. If the component is cheap and I can get to the leads from the top, it's often the easiest method.

For resistors, I cut just one lead, because then you can lever the resistor up and grab the resistor body while heating the remaining lead to pull that side from the board.

May 22, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #5 of 6
To push leads out of a hole its a great idea to use those pointed toothpicks since the solder doesnt stick to them and they can be forced in (not too hard or they'll break) to remove as much as possible. I saw this trick a few months ago here on headfi.

-ivan

May 22, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 6
saw this trick too, and started using it. Carefull if you push too far through then on the way back out there's a chance you can lift a delecate trace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back