Reminder for U2 fans: Greatest Hits release
Oct 20, 2002 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

zoboomofo

1000+ Head-Fier
Well I hope the sound quality is better than on the 1st installment
frown.gif

From
http://wbli.com/common/launch/090402...s_best_of.html

The album's complete tracklisting includes "Even Better Than The Real Thing"; "Mysterious Ways"; "Beautiful Day"; "Electrical Storm" (William Orbit Mix); "One"; "Miss Sarajevo"; "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)"; "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of"; "Gone (new mix)"; "Until The End Of The World"; "The Hands That Built America"; "Discotheque (new mix)"; "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me"; "Staring At The Sun (new mix)"; "Numb (new mix)"; and "The First Time."

A limited-edition run of U2: The Best Of 1990-2000 will feature a second collection, titled The Best Of The B-Sides, as well as a bonus DVD with exclusive content such as the "History Mix" of U2 in the '90s. Many of the tracks on the B-Sides set are remixes of U2 tracks by renowned DJs and producers such as Paul Oakenfold and Alan Moulder.

The Best Of The B-Sides complete tracklisting includes "Lady With A Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix)"; "Dirty Day (Junk Day Mix)"; "Electrical Storm"; "Summer Rain"; "North And South Of The River"; "Your Blue Room"; "Happiness Is A Warm Gun (The Gun Mix)"; "Salome (Zooromancer Mix)"; "Even Better Than The Real Thing (Perfecto Mix)"; "Numb (Give Me Some Dignity Mix)"; "Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Club Mix)"; "If God Will Send His Angels (Big Yam Mix)"; "Lemon (Jeep Mix)"; and "Discotheque (Hexidecimal Mix)".

Hmmm, I'm not a big fan of remixes, but I'm curious about the b-sides anyway. I believe the date to look out for is

November 5 (US).

Oct 20, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 29
What a waste of money, how many more greatest hits are they going to release? I got the first one which is more than enough for me.

I hate remixes...

Oct 20, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 29
The difference is this is "later greatest hits" 1990-2000 which contains the very good Achtung Baby album followed by a couple weak efforts. The new album is supposed to be a comeback of sorts according to experts, I gave up on them and didn't buy it,
time to move on and turn the page.

I did get the 1980-90 greatest hits, but will pass on this new collection.

Oct 20, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 29
the first hits collection is worth getting for the b-sides. i did not enjoy the way they remixed and cut music out of "2 hearts beat as one" and screwed around with some other a-side cuts. why remove music? check out the mfsl of "unforgettable fire" and notice there is more music than the standard release. the first greatest hits collection also suffered from excessive dynamic compression. the original cd releases of "october" and "boy" are very good examples of old school cd sound, with nicely preserved dynamics.

i thought "zooropa" was good despite being essentially the b-sides of "achtung baby". the new album was ok, certainly an improvement over the rushed and unfinished "pop". i think there is still some juice left in this band, if bono can get his voice in order. the edge is a very inventive, minimalist musician with a good voice, perhaps one of the best back-up singers. what they need to do is get brian eno back in the band, playing synth and producing their albums. he is the force behind u2's rebirth with "achtung baby", and also created the wonderful video art for their "zoo tv" tour. they need eno. alas, like with roxy music he probably started overshadowing so they gave him the boot.

i would LOVE to see an sacd release of "joshua tree". that album despite being overplayed still gives me chills, and not just the 1st 4 tracks. it has some of my favorite eno synth tracks, the edge guitar tracks, and bono vocals. this was the album that made me a u2 fan as a kid. the first track on my walkman watching storm clouds race across the sky as i walked through some fields is a musical experience i will never forget.

i will be buying the next hits collection, again for the b-sides.

Oct 21, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 29
I've loved the band since 1983, and I have to say I'm not really impressed with the selection of some songs on this set over other, to me, more obvious songs ("Lemon" for one)
What I think they should've released is a proper live album, something they've never done, despite basically making their name over the years with the touring they've done.

Oct 21, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
What I think they should've released is a proper live album, something they've never done, despite basically making their name over the years with the touring they've done.

That's what bootlegs are for!

Believe me, i know...

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 29
Yup, you guys covered all my gripes. I'm a little bummed about the exclusion of Lemon, too. I don't want them messing around with Numb, either. Maybe this is a way of frustrating casual listeners into buying Achtung Baby! and Zooropa
eek.gif
. I don't think they needed to go that far to get the desired results if they make the sound as craptacular as the 80-90 Hits
evil_smiley.gif

Redshifter, I wish I wasn't so cheap about buying MFSL discs when they were widely available. I used to go to the cd shop, and pine over many of the ultradisc IIs, but I've only got The Jam. Only since my upsampler upgrade have I realized that this is the best sounding cd I have!

Oct 21, 2002 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 29
guys, u2 has got at least one good live show on dvd, from the elevation tour in boston. i have it, it's a good show--bono looks sober, and his voice is in pretty good shape. i wish the zoo tv show from sydney was on dvd--although bono looks pretty drunk for the show, the music is great and the video art is fantastic.

at least if you have "zooropa" you have a copy of "lemon", although if they put it on the "hits" album it probably would be the crappy edited for radio version without eno's synth solo.

zoboomofo,
mfsl had some great releases. my two favorites in my collection are "unforgettable fire" and tull's "songs from the wood". i rarely see if ever mfsl in the used bins these days.

Oct 22, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #11 of 29
holy flurking shnit! i just found a bunch of mfsl sacd's on the web. these are new releases. unless they were bought out and some company is just re-using their name, it seems they're still in business. plus the sacd's were under $30. nice.

Oct 22, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
What I think they should've released is a proper live album, something they've never done...

What about Live at Red Rocks? If you're talking about more recent material, a CD will not do it justice, leaving out the multimedia material. A DVD (preferably multi-angle) would be much better, and I believe they released a couple of those. Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
holy flurking shnit! i just found a bunch of mfsl sacd's on the web. these are new releases. unless they were bought out and some company is just re-using their name, it seems they're still in business. plus the sacd's were under $30. nice.

It's not just the name, they bought a lot of the hardware, and brought along many of the (important) people as well. MFSL Mk II is the real deal. The only SACD's that I know of are the first three Patricia Barber releases -- what's next?

Oct 22, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
check out the mfsl of "unforgettable fire" and notice there is more music than the standard release.

Really? I've had that one for years, and never realized it had more music
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

i would LOVE to see an sacd release of "joshua tree". that album despite being overplayed still gives me chills, and not just the 1st 4 tracks.

I was actually a U2 fan from the first album, and when Joshua Tree first came out, I didn't like it as much as earlier stuff. But now I think it's one of the greatest albums of all time (along with Unforgettable Fire).

Oct 22, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 29
whoops, my bad. it is the mfsl of "war" that has extra music. "new year's day" has a longer bridge and "seconds" has a longer audio sample. "unforgettable fire" album on mfsl is one of the more noticeable improvements over the standard cd (1st issue), especially in soundstage, backup vocal detail, and warmth of synth tracks--but dusty is right, i don't think it has more music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back