remembrance of 9/11
Sep 8, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 85
A nice remembrance of 9/11 would be the US destroying all sites in Iraq that weapons inspectors should be monitoring.

If Iraq won't let us monitor them, they they should be destroyed.

Even if it's populated.

REMEMBER 9/11!

Sep 8, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
...they they should be destroyed.

Even if it's populated.

you can't be serious!

besides my views on the matter, that has to be the most near-sighted comment I've read on this board ever.

Sep 8, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver

you can't be serious!

besides my views on the matter, that has to be the most near-sighted comment I've read on this board ever.

That is just his opinion. He is entitled to it. You may not like it but free speech is guarenteed in the Constitution.

Sep 8, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 85
Yes, it is so near-sighted to watch out for one's own security. But it is ever so much more European to criticize America for watching its own ass when most of Europe will do nothing but sit back like a bunch of grumpy old men!

Sep 8, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro

That is just his opinion. He is entitled to it. You may not like it but free speech is guarenteed in the Constitution.

as it is my right to react any way I bloody well like! I was not attacking his constitutional rights in any way, thank you very much! I just don't see how you can be for bombing populated areas.

Sep 8, 2002 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
Yes, it is so near-sighted to watch out for one's own security.

it is when at the expense of someone else's. and it's too easy to group all Europeans together. I am not for or against a war against Iraq. I know too little of the situation there to form an opinion that's worth anything. as a country, The Netherlands support the war, should it take place. France and Germany are not so sure on the other hand IIRC. generalisations are so shallow, you should know better, Dan.

Sep 9, 2002 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 85
I did generalize, but generalizations are not always wrong as politically-correct culture tells us -- it is, in fact, true that most European nations have unrealistic and reactionary views on everything that involves the United States and Israel. They spout the same tired rhetoric of non-aggression and "give peace a chance." France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Greece -- all these countries oppose a war on Iraq and always say the same thing no matter what country the US finds is trying to destroy the Western world, no matter what the evidence mounted against the country. Whenever Israel decides it's had enough of two-faced Palestinian leaders and takes matters into its own hands the majority of Europeans start lamenting the poor suicide bomber's mother who had no choice but to throw away her child's life in the hope of taking away another mother's child.

It's all the same. Sometimes when you defend yourself, people on the other side of the gun barrel get hurt. But if America became like the majority of European nations, then it would cease to be a superpower. It would become mired in politics of self-incrimination and perpetual guilt to the point where it could never act. Wars have consequences, grave consequences... not the least of which is that civilians in the enemy's country do get hurt even though they're not all against you. But to be afraid that some people might die is to be mortally afraid of war. We should be disgusted with war, but we should not be afraid of it. Sometimes it's all we have to let us survive. And if you don't think about how you are going to survive, who will?

Sep 9, 2002 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 85
IMO: Its very painful to relive last year but we can at least take comfort in knowing the US government seems resolved to obliterate the chances of something like that happening again if at all possible. Its controversial to go into Iraq and change the regime there by force, but its the right decision! Sometimes its important to know who your enemies are and to flush out the ones that prefer to be in hiding. A large action like changing the regime in Iraq will bring the enemies of the US into the open. Into open rebellion- and that will serve the US much better than secret hatreds and plots that continue on for years, armed with possibly new and stronger weapons. There should be no doubt but that the US government fully intends to kill organized terrorism. Not to wound, not to try by jury, not to rehabilitate; but to kill. And we are the only country in the world which can accomplish this task, and, being as we are the primary target of such terrorism, its a task we need to do! We need to kill potential terrorism. Its sad but true.

Saddam H. is the touchstone for all that is anti-west and especially anti-america in the world today. Remove him and its that much harder for a new such persons to take his place. His absence will set a good example. There will be instability in the region in any case; thats no reason not to act. I'm glad Bush does not seem to care if Starbuck intellectuals around the country condemn ousting Saddam as mere naked aggression by an 'ugly' america. You cant please everyone. Least of all, Islamic extremists intent on killing americans by any means possible.

I think Bush told Rumsfeld he wants Saddams head on his desk by Spring at the latest. Rumsfeld replied, 'no problem!' and left the oval office in a very cheerful mood.

Sep 9, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #10 of 85
Sep 9, 2002 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 85
Hey guys...

I know my opinion doesn't mean much, but can we keep the righteous anger in check for one thread? Whether pro or con, I don't think discussion of any war should intrude on a thread remembering 9/11. Let's remember the beauty of thousands of New Yorkers and hundreds of fire fighters and cops risking their lives to save others. Let's remember the front page of the french newspaper Le Monde that declared "We are all Americans now". Let's remember Queen Elizabeth II ordering the Coldstream Guards at Buckingham Palace to play the Star Spangled Banner.

Let's remember our own fear before it turned into anger. Let's remember our own vulnerability before we put up shields. Let's remember who we really are, not what we want the world to think of us.

Sep 9, 2002 at 5:17 AM Post #12 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver

as it is my right to react any way I bloody well like! I was not attacking his constitutional rights in any way, thank you very much! I just don't see how you can be for bombing populated areas.

Just reread the post .

I did not say "populated areas" in general, I said the SITES THAT WEAPONS INSPECTORS ARE DENIED. That is, sites that are known to be associated with weapons of mass destruction.
Apparently you don't know that Saddam has some of these sites as "palaces". And they have people in them. Ever hear of a human shield? Apparently you don't know the situation, or you support the use of human shields.

Were you aware that the old Soviet Union had massive factories making anthrax and such weapons to be loaded on missles and lobbed to the USA? If Saddam could, Saddam would.

I could go on and on, but will just let this explanation ride it.

Sep 9, 2002 at 5:34 AM Post #13 of 85
I am sooooo mean.

Sep 9, 2002 at 5:56 AM Post #14 of 85
Unfortunately, as the 9/11 anniversary approaches, the potential Iraq war is being vigorously debated. I am mostly convinced that Saddam should be removed, and should have not been allowed to get away after the Gulf War.

Nevertheless wars are easy to start and hard to stop and their consequences are imponderable. Witness Viernam.

America went in with a good intention, to stop North Viernamese aggression, and finally ended up propping up a corrupt and undemocratic regime, with unwilling, conscripted US soldiers. It lost the hearts and minds of its own people, never got the South Vietnamese onside and failed miserably to its great cost and domestic discord.

Then consider Afghanistan. We still cannot locate Osama Bin Laden, who didn't even have an army backing him up. So lets not overestimate our military power.

These lessons hould be considered very seriously before acting. We could be in there for a very long time. the war may spread to other regions and we would certainly provoke new terrorist acts against us.

The puported rationale, of preventing further terrorism looks false given the lack of serious evidence that Iraq had anyhting to do with 9/11. On the other hand, the Saudis, who had everything to do with 9/11 are free to go about their business.

SoI can see why many allies wonder about our motives and rationality.

Sep 9, 2002 at 6:12 AM Post #15 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Guidry
Hey guys...

I know my opinion doesn't mean much.

Thanks for proving me right...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back