Relocation! Interest check in a relocated Phili/NJ/DE/NYC meet on 1/28/12
Jan 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

a1joe507

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, all,

As you may or may not know, there was a meet scheduled on 1/28/12 to occur at Frank I's house.  He unfortunately had to cancel the meet-up due to some family health issues.  Our thoughts are with him and his family, and we wish his family well!

Many of us are still interested in trying to pull this meet off, and are hunting for venues as I type! If you are interested in attending a meet on 1/28, located somewhere central to Phili/NJ/DE/NYC, please respond to this thread.

Also, if you may have a house/facility that could be used to host the 1/28 meet, and you are willing to do so, please respond to the post!

Hotel conference rooms in mid NJ are not that cheap, running about $600 for a day.  We could always try that, but avoiding space-rent costs would be a great plus, I'm sure most of us agree.

Worse comes to worse, if we cannot pull off the venue change in time we could pick another date a few weeks from now and try again. But, since there are many local people with 1/28 cleared on their respective calendars currently, let's try for that first. 

Other ideas regarding help with running a meet are welcomed here as well.

Regards,

Joe

1/28/12 update:

We are very grateful that Brasewel has volunteered his place for the meet. We are moving ahead assuming that Brasewel's place will be the location of the meet. Brasewel lives just north of Phili. (Zipcode: 19401)

**Please, bring (labeled with your name) power strips and extension cords!***

List of those attending:

1) Brasewel (likely to be the host)
2) a1joe507 - BeyerDynamic T1, HeadRoom Micro DAC w/astrodyne PS
3) glowglass - Two ROTEL RCD 855 cd players, Aren van Waarde type OTL HP-amp, New DIY tube SE HP-amp, AKG K-240, FOSTEX     T50RP, KOSS KSC75, PC laptop with some music on it, EMU 0404 USB
4) sridhar3 - SR-009 and SR-007 O2 Mk1, Audiophilleo1, Cary Xciter DAC, Schiit Lyr, HiFiMan HE-6, Virtue Audio TWO.2, Woo WEE
5) Tmoney - Stax SR-009, KGSSHV, and Buffalo 32 DAC
6) Sphinxvc - Zodiac Silver, a pure i20 dock, an Objective2 and Rev. 2 LCD-2s
7) B-Dawk20 - Ath-M50, AD700, Koss Portapro, Maverick D1
8) lofty
9) Chefguru
10) Chefguru guest #1
11) Chefguru guest #2
12) leesure - Schiit Lyr/Bifrost, Audio-GD NFB10se, Red Wine Audio Isabellina, Schiit Valhalla or Asgard
13) B-Dawk20's friend/ride

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 85
 My thoughts and prayers go out to Frank and his family..  Unfortunately, my apartment is too small to host the numbers we had last year.  I'm more than willing to contribute towards the costs of the facility or catering (if someone has room).  We need everyone interested to chime in with options/opinions and see what we can come up with.  I know I enjoyed last years event very much and looked forward to this year as well. 

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 85

Quote:
I can host it at my house if there is a good enough crowd. I've recently moved in so furniture is a little sparse but there is plenty of space. I live in the greater philadelphia area.

Thank you for the offer! Less furniture may be a plus, in this case....more room for equipment!  Jokes aside, if people have tables they can bring, please chime in.

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 85

Quote:
 My thoughts and prayers go out to Frank and his family..  Unfortunately, my apartment is too small to host the numbers we had last year.  I'm more than willing to contribute towards the costs of the facility or catering (if someone has room).  We need everyone interested to chime in with options/opinions and see what we can come up with.  I know I enjoyed last years event very much and looked forward to this year as well. 

Thank you for the offer to contribute to funding a space! Hopefully, we will not need it (i.e. someone will volunteer his/her house or apartment).

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 85
I live in the west Philadelphia area and know about a pretty neat big hall in Bala Cynwyd PA (close to west Philly) where a friend of mine had her wedding reception. As far as I remember it was in the $200 area to rent it for a day. They have lots of round tables and chairs, a bar that may be or may not be open and restrooms.
I will call them tomorrow and see if they are free and actual conditions and price.
I do this as backup and would actually prefer the offer by brasewel. ( I could bring a folding table and 2 regular chairs + 2 sturdy folding chairs )
My best wishes go to Frank I and may his difficulties resolve soon and much ease follow the hardship.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 85

Quote:
I live in the west Philadelphia area and know about a pretty neat big hall in Bala Cynwyd PA (close to west Philly) where a friend of mine had her wedding reception. As far as I remember it was in the $200 area to rent it for a day. They have lots of round tables and chairs, a bar that may be or may not be open and restrooms.
I will call them tomorrow and see if they are free and actual conditions and price.
I do this as backup and would actually prefer the offer by brasewel. ( I could bring a folding table and 2 regular chairs + 2 sturdy folding chairs )
My best wishes go to Frank I and may his difficulties resolve soon and much ease follow the hardship.

That sounds a little more reasonable than the Hyatt rates.  But yes, I'm sure we all agree, that having it at someone's home would be a heck of a lot more economical/convenient.  (No pressure, Brasewel! Ha!)

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 85
Space is not an issue, just some furniture if we're hosting a large number of people. By all means use my place for the meet, I'm more than happy to do it. I have a couple of tables and chairs including a bar table in the kitchen but it won't be adequate for 20 people.

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 85

Quote:
Space is not an issue, just some furniture if we're hosting a large number of people. By all means use my place for the meet, I'm more than happy to do it. I have a couple of tables and chairs including a bar table in the kitchen but it won't be adequate for 20 people.

Okay then!  So, from herein, when responding to this thread with a yay or nay for making the meet, please keep in mind that the meet is likely to occur in the North Phili area.Though, that is not set in stone by any means.  If you want to volunteer your space as well, feel free to speak up.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #12 of 85
I'm likely still interested, but I'm dependent on getting a ride.

I was going to carpool with Sphinxvc, so if he is still planning on driving I'll probably be interested.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #13 of 85
Im in for sure if its at someones house...if not, the most I could sport is ten dollars in contribution. Just kind of short notice and I was only expecting gas money. Just keep in mind someone is driving me there as well so make sure to include him.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #14 of 85
I called the Bala Cynwyd Tennis club just now. Unfortunately their Banquet hall is already rented out for Saturday the 28 of January.

Don't know if I am in yet considering the recent 20 people limit. But I bring a pickup truck and could ask my neighbor for some more folding tables and folding chairs.
Will confirm later on how much I can bring. Also we could rent some of that?

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #15 of 85
Well at this point I imagine that all 20 people probably wont be attending so you should at least consider the fact that you could be in. But yeah, I'm guessing at this time brasewel's is the best option since it's definitive and since its short notice, we moght want to give people a heads up. On a final location. But that's something we should decide as a group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back