Relocation! Interest check in a relocated Phili/NJ/DE/NYC meet on 1/28/12
Jan 21, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #46 of 85
Hey
My DIY HP amp is finished building and working better than expected.
I was glued to the cans for the past 5 hours....
Wonder what it does with LCD2, LCD3, Beyer T1 and DT880.....and others (impedance between 30 to 600 ohm no problem)
Anybody bringing a DT880 -600 ohm????

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #47 of 85
What'd you make?

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #48 of 85
    A  DIY tube SE HP-amp I researched and developed since June 2011
    Balanced XLR inputs and unbalanced RCA type input.
    Output (1/4"TRS) good for 36 to 600 ohm dynamic HP - for capacitive HP an adapter or a modification is needed.
    It has an input transformer and works through an output transformer. Really is a regular simple single ended tube amplifier from the books.
    BUT it has only one triode wired pentode per channel giving plenty of gain and power for headphone amps.
    But using only one tube without coupling caps results in significant more clarity and spaciousness.
    By all the R&D my friend Joe P. and I did we found a rare few pentodes up to the task.
    The current control separate for each channel feeds the amp through the output transformer and decouples power supply noise.
    The current control by virtue of its very high AC resistance gives the amplifier a much greater freedom to work with much lower distortion.
    Current and Bias is adjustable. Tube is DC heated.

Well as always the proof is in the pudding - in the music that touches your ears and deeper. Hope you will give it a try.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #50 of 85
Nice! Can't wait to hear it.

What type of output does it have? Single ended only? Balanced (dual 3 or single 4 pin XLR)?

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #51 of 85
Sorry Guys, I'm not going to be able to make it after all.. My daughter's birthday party had to be re-scheduled to the 28th.. I can't miss that :)  I really wanted to attend, as it turns out, I just received a pair of AKG Q701's (very belated x-mas present) and I wanted to explore my options for a desktop amp.  I didn't ask for and I certainly wasn't expecting the cans and other than my iBasso D4 and my Onkyo.. I really don't have anything to drive them properly. Oh well, time to do some research and sit tight until the spring meet.  Have fun, I expect lots of pictures and impressions to follow.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #53 of 85
What type of output does it have? Single ended only? Balanced (dual 3 or single 4 pin XLR)?

No, just single ended 1/4 inch TRS. Balanced would mean I have to pay for a custom wound output transformer. As is I got away with stock items.
Thank you for asking TMoney

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #54 of 85
Yeah, definitely some awesome stuff you got going on glowglass and thanks for being able to share it with us all.

One thing I'm actually the most interested in seeing, being inexperienced and all, is how my D1 scales. I've heard the proof when it comes to headphones to a slight extent but I just know my D1 sounds better than stock outs from a computer and phones lol. Getting to hear how something like an LCD-2 sounds from the D1 vs some of your guys stuff will be interesting. And hearing your guys input on it as well will be cool too.

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #55 of 85
Alright guys I will pm everyone my address and cell number once we have a lockdown on whose coming sometime this week. If anyone is leaving let me know since I need to have an idea on how much food/drinks to get.

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #56 of 85

Quote:
Sorry Guys, I'm not going to be able to make it after all.. My daughter's birthday party had to be re-scheduled to the 28th.. I can't miss that :)  I really wanted to attend, as it turns out, I just received a pair of AKG Q701's (very belated x-mas present) and I wanted to explore my options for a desktop amp.  I didn't ask for and I certainly wasn't expecting the cans and other than my iBasso D4 and my Onkyo.. I really don't have anything to drive them properly. Oh well, time to do some research and sit tight until the spring meet.  Have fun, I expect lots of pictures and impressions to follow.

Sorry to hear that you will not be able to make it! I have taken your name off of the attendee list. Please, let us know if you are able to come after all.

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #57 of 85
Hmm, powerstrips and snacks....must remember to bring both.

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #59 of 85
Hello, all,

I heard back from Jack Wu today, and it does not look like I'll have the WA5-LE in time for the meet.
frown.gif
  I'll probably receive it early next week, unfortunately.  But, I'll still bring my BD T1 headphones, my headroom micro DAC, and my computer for an audio source.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #60 of 85
aww, that's unfortunate. I'll probably bring my PC as an audio source as well. Maybe a laptop instead if I can find someone willing to let me borrow theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back