Released: Sleek Audio SA1 !!! *SA1 Discussion Thread*
Nov 26, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #106 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirtar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have any problems with the bass on the SA6. Then again, I'm not exactly a bass head, and don't care as long as I can tell it's present but not to the point of overpowering everything. I'm also used to not being able to easily hear the bass in my orchestra because there's only one and I'm usually on the opposite end of the formation.

Okay.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #107 of 140
Well, they've been running for about 10 hours now, with me listening intermittently. I got these and my brother got the S4s today. Initially the s4 was incredibly more lively and clear, but the bass is starting to fill in on the sa1. At this point, I would have to say I prefer the sound of the Klipsch. Also... the sa1 refuse to isolate with the cord behind my ears; it's very strange.

The Sleek Audio seem to like the cello and violin of Andrew Bird (it sounds very organic and I can even hear the rosin sliding across the strings *wince*), whereas the Klipsch like MGMT and DJ Tiesto.

Nov 26, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #109 of 140
They are "wireless" regardless, but the $79 option does not come with the wireless accessory. With the bundle, you get the wired sa1 (the wires can detach from the housing) and the kleer wireless system. You just take out the wires, plug in the wireless accessory, and you're good to go.

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #111 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_Louis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ Hi. Thanks for your reply. But sorry, I'm still confused. Do I need the Kleer Wireless System to operate the earphones? Or can the $ 79 option operate on its own?

$79- SA1 Earphone(with cables)
Can only use, wired.

$169.99- SA1 Earphone(with cables) + W-1 Wireless kit.
Can choose between wired and wireless.

Nov 26, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #113 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by 32ndnote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, they've been running for about 10 hours now, with me listening intermittently. I got these and my brother got the S4s today. Initially the s4 was incredibly more lively and clear, but the bass is starting to fill in on the sa1. At this point, I would have to say I prefer the sound of the Klipsch. Also... the sa1 refuse to isolate with the cord behind my ears; it's very strange.

The Sleek Audio seem to like the cello and violin of Andrew Bird (it sounds very organic and I can even hear the rosin sliding across the strings *wince*), whereas the Klipsch like MGMT and DJ Tiesto.

Give them a fair shake for run-in, as the S4s also were slow starters but now sound sublime with 150+ hours on them. I also have SA1s coming, but expect they will be different than the S4s.

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #114 of 140
Mine arrived today, but am going to let them cook overnight and tomorrow, at least. So far, nice detail, strong mids and highs and bass nice too. But again, they need to burn in before anything definitive.

Just a quick comparison with the S4s. Listening to Hotel California, Hell Freezes Over CD, and the S4s rule via the Cowon S9 . But again, not fair to compare a well-burned-in dynamic with an out of the box competitor. Also, when I went to take out the SA1s, the two bi-flanges (medium) remained stuck in my ear. I never cared much for the Sleek gels/flanges with the SA6, so may have to to move to Complys. Wish I could get the UM56 customs on the SA1s, but not happening.

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #115 of 140
Yeah I wonder why lol, the previous set of the silicon dual flange that I got with my sa6.. from time to time will get stuck in my ears.
Well, it happened to my friend, who just wanted to try it, but to his horror, it got stuck in his ears o.o, he was so panicky I had to slowly pluck it out for him lol.
But the "new" silicon dual flange that came with my rma-ed 2009 sa6 seems to be tighter and sturdier than the 2008 one, and solved that problem.

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #116 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I wonder why lol, the previous set of the silicon dual flange that I got with my sa6.. from time to time will get stuck in my ears.
Well, it happened to my friend, who just wanted to try it, but to his horror, it got stuck in his ears o.o, he was so panicky I had to slowly pluck it out for him lol.
But the "new" silicon dual flange that came with my rma-ed 2009 sa6 seems to be tighter and sturdier than the 2008 one, and solved that problem.

The silicon tips on my SA6 often come off in my ears also, I just have to carry around a pair of tweezers to fetch them out. This just happens over time as oils/wax build up on them. Cleaning them with alcohol always fixes it though. Was hoping the SA1 would fix this issue. Mine are waiting for me on the porch.
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #117 of 140
huh, I've never had that problem with the SA6 (then again, I've only had them for about 3 quarters). Only time I've had this problem were with some unidentified sony noise canceling things that I had for years.

Dec 2, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #118 of 140
So I had the SA1s on the pink noise machine (my PC) for 12 hours or so, with the silver ports (the treble-focused ports) and I just had a 40-minute dog walking listen with them. They sound a little harsh to me, and I had them on VIVA Mach Bass, to get enough bass out of them (which I would never use with the S4s). I also have moved to the Sony hybrid large (light blue), because I just did not like any of the Sleek OEM silicones.

I have to say there may be a very good IEM lurking in that wood body, but so far, it's not shown it's face. Not that they are poor, because that's not the case. They seem a little grainy, and again, there is a sibilance issue for me on many tracks, not all. They sounded very good with classical, for example.

I am going to sit down tonight after dinner and do some more head to head listening with the S4s using the S9. I just don't think the SA1s match up well with the Amp3 because the Amp3 has no EQ, and only certain phones can bring out its fantastic SQ, such as the S4 and the Grado SR-80 both do for me.

No matter, I want to give the SA1 a fair shake, and also will continue to let it burn in when not listening.

I also am going to try a pair of Complys with the SA1s, as well as the bass-oriented port (which is black with the newer version of the phone, both ports used to be silver).

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #119 of 140
I've probably gotten 60 hours of burn-in on the SA1, and they are much more full than when I first opened them up, but still can't quite compete with the s4. I do prefer them for string instrument/orchestral music though. I wonder if it's all those years on the violin being brought back with the rosewood resonance...

Also, I really really struggle to get a good seal with these. Ironically, they are too small to use upright (the wire stops against the bottom of my ear) and are very finicky while upside down. I'll try the comply tomorrow and see how that works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back