Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Jun 11, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #256 of 871
Further to my previous post above, I spoke directly with Apple Support and asked them which setting in Apple Music (for Mac) would automatically adjust the audio format in Audio MIDI? They did not know and have bumped the query up the line. I will follow up with them tomorrow to hear their response.
I must say that Apple have been very attentive with my query. I have had three subsequent calls with Apple, each time speaking to someone further up the line. In the last call, I made a video screen capture as I walked through the issue. The video shows how Audirvana is able to automatically adjust the audio format in Audio MIDI Setup, whereas Apple Music is not. The Apple rep said he would forward the video to the Apple Music team in HQ, and would revert back to me next week. I am just looking for an acknowledgment of this issue, and a commitment that Apple Music for Mac will be updated to address this. The rep said that, if Audirvana can do this, then Apple Music should also be able to do this!

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #257 of 871
I must say that Apple have been very attentive with my query. I have had three subsequent calls with Apple, each time speaking to someone further up the line. In the last call, I made a video screen capture as I walked through the issue. The video shows how Audirvana is able to automatically adjust the audio format in Audio MIDI Setup, whereas Apple Music is not. The Apple rep said he would forward the video to the Apple Music team in HQ, and would revert back to me next week. I am just looking for an acknowledgment of this issue, and a commitment that Apple Music for Mac will be updated to address this. The rep said that, if Audirvana can do this, then Apple Music should also be able to do this!

Since you're fixing Apple Music, can you ask them to add UPnP so I can stream to my streamer (Airplay is limited resolution) :beerchug:

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #259 of 871
Pure pcm like qubuz. Sounding great so far no unfolding.

I'm sure some people might not know this yet. But one of the strong points of AM is that if your missing a album and you have the disc or lossless files to it you can upload it to iCloud library, then listen to your rare lossless album away from the home with cellular data. There has always been a few rare CD's that I could not find on the Tidal. That I have to listen to lossy formats on the go or add the files to a phone. But now I can just added them to the iCloud music library, manually and have access anywhere.
Agree. However, I'm not sure of the quality of the songs that I uploaded to the icloud library since the songs i uploaded is in 16/42khz. If it was convert to 256kbps AAC, i have no telling as my 2Qute will still be lighting up in the same red colour. You got any insight to this?

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #260 of 871
I have managed to hear today 24/192 in Apple Music. Ipad to camera adapter, usb cable to Sony Nwa55L in dac mode. It works perfectly. Lossless is already fantastic, doubt I can hear a difference with hires.
377CF657-25FB-45FE-8437-DBD131C566BA.jpeg

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #261 of 871
Yes, it’s already confirmed. Code in the Android app is how it was even leaked that Apple Music lossless was coming well in advance of the launch.
Is that confirmed they’ll be using direct mode on supported DAC’s to bypass android completely or that lossless 24/48 will be available via android audio stack? If they’re going the direct route (as UAPP does) Then that’s incredibly good news. Also a little amusing that a third party android DAP will be more capable than the current Apple devices without additional hardware. Fingers crossed!

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #262 of 871
Is that confirmed they’ll be using direct mode on supported DAC’s to bypass android completely or that lossless 24/48 will be available via android audio stack? If they’re going the direct route (as UAPP does) Then that’s incredibly good news. Also a little amusing that a third party android DAP will be more capable than the current Apple devices without additional hardware. Fingers crossed!

I don't think anyone knows about direct mode yet, but we can hope...

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #263 of 871
Thought I would try it out, but with intention to canceling after my 1 month free. Reason is i am a long term fan of Tidal and do like MQA. using ifi Diablo DAC/AMP and variety of £1000+ headphones.

Right the difference is shocking between Apple MUSIC lossless and the same MQA Albums on TIDAL. In most cases Apple Music sounded allot better - cleaner, more details and mostly less harsh/sibilant.

was not expecting this.

canceling Tidal.

also check out this video review by Abyss

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #264 of 871
Jun 11, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #265 of 871
I have managed to hear today 24/192 in Apple Music. Ipad to camera adapter, usb cable to Sony Nwa55L in dac mode. It works perfectly. Lossless is already fantastic, doubt I can hear a difference with hires.
377CF657-25FB-45FE-8437-DBD131C566BA.jpeg
I tried that artist. 192k in AM and Qobuz 6G cellular reception.

AM allowed me to skip forwards better. Qobuz didn't like being started mid track much.

iPhone - THX Onyx dongle

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #266 of 871
How did you first contact Apple? Not sure if it’s been mention on this forum but Naim tech found out that Apple Music is not lossless thru AirPlay. Even though it shows lossless on the app, it’s actually outputting the signal as aac before it goes out thru AirPlay. AirPlay can handle up to 24/48 but Apple Music is streaming at 16/44 aac thru AirPlay. Other apps can stream lossless up to 24/48.

Not sure if this was something overlooked or just not updated yet since since they actually never mention AirPlay and talk of HomePod getting lossless update in the near future.

Jun 11, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #268 of 871
How did you first contact Apple? Not sure if it’s been mention on this forum but Naim tech found out that Apple Music is not lossless thru AirPlay. Even though it shows lossless on the app, it’s actually outputting the signal as aac before it goes out thru AirPlay. AirPlay can handle up to 24/48 but Apple Music is streaming at 16/44 aac thru AirPlay. Other apps can stream lossless up to 24/48.

Not sure if this was something overlooked or just not updated yet since since they actually never mention AirPlay and talk of HomePod getting lossless update in the near future.
Through Apple's website - selected Music then Get Support. I went about it by simply asking what setting in Music would make Music automatically set the the audio format in Audio Midi Setup.

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #269 of 871
Unknown, but my guess would be unlikely. Android app on phones will probably behave like Amazon HD and be 24/48 and won’t play with UAPP. So that leaves only the DAPs that bypass SRC.

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #270 of 871

Yeah, AirPlay has always made my Chord Mojo+Poly light up red (16/44), never orange (24/48). I have always wondered about that. Seems like Apple is using "Lossless" as a euphemism to mean CD Quality. I'm finding it hard to care because it sounds so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back