Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Jun 10, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #241 of 871
Can you tell me how did you get lossless in Apple TV 4k and how did you confirm that is lossless? I'm also using Apple TV 4K but I cannot see any indication of lossless
To get lossless in the AppleTv4K go to settings - apps- music- sound quality- you can choose either AAC 256 or lossless up to 24/48 (No hires)
There in music you can also choose Dolby Atmos -Yes or no.
Hope it helps!

Once activated files either come with no indication (not updated to lossless yet) or with lossless indication. For example Abbado Brahms 4 Symphonies, when you have the screen where it shows the line from left to right of what is being played, you have an indication in the low right side that says lossless. If you click it you see the quality of the file being played, in this case 16/44. In the case Of Chailly Brahms the Symphonies it says 24/48, this one is hires in my Iphone (24/96). Anyway I believe there is a clear sound improvement with lossless in the Appletv4k.
My Yamaha preamp WXC-50 indicates the quality in the optical input when playing something. From the computer, I have tried with Amazon HD, it goes up to 192 khz. It always says 48 khz when playing anything from AppleTv. I read somewhere that the AppleTv upsamples everything to 48 khz. Is that right?

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #242 of 871
I think Dolby Atmos has great potential. But for it to really work the artist and the studio has to put time and effort into it making sense. And I'm doubtful this will be the case in the long run unless Dolby Atmos and Spatial Audio become the norm in the industry as a whole. Why would artists and studios spend time and effort on this if they could just toss out music that is flat and could basically be played back mono as compared to stereo without any noticeable differences, still hit various top lists and get tons of playback?

I'm sure some artists and studios care a lot more about soundstage, clever tricks and technology than others and will use this to their advantage and thus create some really awesome and new with Dolby Atmos. But I fear that most will just keep on pumping out music that barely utilises the stereo perspective and calls it a day. Sure they might pump out a "Dolby Atmos" version as well but the minimum effort will be put into it and in most cases, it will just sound less balanced overall compared to simply playing the track in stereo or even mono.

So far the list of tracks that feel enhanced with Dolby Atmos is rather small. And some genres don't really benefit from having a wider soundstage all that much. I love wide soundstages, that's why I love my Sennheiser HD800S's but some genres benefit more from the wider soundstage than others and some barely benefit at all. Genres like Hippop, Metal/Rock works very well in more V-shaped audio where the soundstage becomes more narrow and in your head compared to being wider and spacesious. While genres like Jazz, Classical and tracks that utilise orchestras tend to benefit a lot by having a greater soundstage. Some tracks with orchestras that aren't even available in Dolby Atmos sound better to me when I enable the "Spatialise Stereo" on my AirPods Max which basically takes the stereo version and tries to upsample it to Dolby Atmos. The major drawback is how the vocals become less pronounced, but everything else tends to sound better for me even when Dolby Atmos is simply emulated on a stereo track. For music with an orchestra that is.

EDIT:

I have to agree with Apple on the notion that for some Dolby Atmos will feel less natural because it's different. Tracks that are really utilising Dolby Atmos have many things going on making me focus less on the music. But I feel this is more about me not being used to the format and what it offers and not about it being worse.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #243 of 871
Jun 10, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #245 of 871
Does anyone know if using an iPad with CCK USB, is a poorer signal. Than going direct to a MacBook Pro with USB?
You will get the full joy through CCK USB, no matter if you are using the stock Apple cable or 3rd party. At the end of the day even with maxed out High-Res Lossless Bitrate, it is only a relatively small data stream that goes through the line compared to other stuff we are doing on computers today.

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #246 of 871
If MQA is a thing then will Apple Music offer MQA ? Tehehe
Haha.. still, MQA was a smart marketing move by Tidal, having all the audio equipment manufacturers pointing out they support it etc. very good move. The latest development at Apple Music must be shocking to the guys at Tidal.

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #247 of 871
Apple's Eddy Cue said something in an interview:
This is not a simple “take-the-file that you have in stereo, processes through this software application and out comes Dolby Atmos.” This requires somebody who’s a sound engineer, and the artist to sit back and listen, and really make the right calls and what the right things to do are. It’s a process that takes time, but it’s worth it.
That sounds like a stab at MQA, which is batch-converting TIDAL's catalog. So much for "authenticated".

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #252 of 871
Made the switch from Spotify to AM....haven't tried Atmos or SA yet but honestly the lossless sounds much better compared to Spotify, like there's a slightly fuller sound to it. Idk if this stems from the master they use or lossless itself, but its hella solid. Having access to deluxe albums that weren't available on Spotify and music videos is a nice plus

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #253 of 871
Once the Android app is updated to support lossless Android-based DAPs that bypass Android’s SRC should work for hi-res too.
Do we think apple will do this tho? Would be great if they did!

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #255 of 871
Pure pcm like qubuz. Sounding great so far no unfolding.

I'm sure some people might not know this yet. But one of the strong points of AM is that if your missing a album and you have the disc or lossless files to it you can upload it to iCloud library, then listen to your rare lossless album away from the home with cellular data. There has always been a few rare CD's that I could not find on the Tidal. That I have to listen to lossy formats on the go or add the files to a phone. But now I can just added them to the iCloud music library, manually and have access anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back