regarding the switches in my cmoy:
Aug 6, 2001 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

source direct

Head-Fier
on the back of the switch I have, there are about six posts, three stacked on the left and three stacked on the right. The switch is supposed to go inbetween R1 and C1 in the cmoy amplifier, and if that's not descriptive enough, then I'll try another way. The switch goes between the very first resistor from the input, and the capacitor, which is in series with the first resistor ( I think ...).

So my question is, how do I hook up that switch?

Aug 6, 2001 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 7
Deja vu...
eek.gif

What is the purpose of this switch? If you know the purpose, this would help us figure out exactly where in the circuit you're talking about so we don't have to guess.

Aug 6, 2001 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 7
your switch is a DPDT switch (double pole, double throw).

So it conatains two seperate switches, each "stack" of pins is for one switch.

The middle pin of each stack is the "output" of the switch, the two outside pins are connected to the middle pin by flipping the switch.

Aug 7, 2001 at 8:12 AM Post #4 of 7
Yeah it is a DPDT switch.

Unfortunately, I'm not "on-it" enough to know exactly what this switch does.

My guess is that it may be some type of gain level switch that bypasses the first resistor in the cmoy. When I was playing around on my breadboard, noticed that if I connect the input signal to the capacitor, bypassing the first resistor, then I get higher volume/gain (not sure which one).
This is only my guess.

Aug 7, 2001 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 7
Ah, I think I know what you're talking about. Are you using a separate volume potentiometer? In the cmoy pocket amp article, his first circuit shows the use of the switch you're talking about to adjust the volume between 2 levels (instead of using a volume pot). What you'd connect here is:

Capacitor from left channel input to one center pin on the switch.

Capacitor from right channel input to the other center pin.

Input from source (left channel) to one of the end pins next to center where the left capacitor is connected.

Input from source (right channel) to the other pin on the same end, next to the center where the right capacitor is connected.

Input from source (left channel) to a resistor - connect the other end of this resistor to the pin on the other side of the switch corresponding to the left channel.

Input from the source (right channel) to the last pin on the switch.

End result:

Switch diagram:

1 2 3

4 5 6

(numbers correspond to pins)

1-(from source left) 2-(to capacitor left) 3-(resistor connected to source left)

4-(from source right) 5-(to capacitor right) 6-(resistor connected to source right)

EDIT: If you're using a volume pot in your circuit, you don't need this switch at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back