Rega P5 or VPI Scout...
Feb 24, 2006 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jumping jupiters

100+ Head-Fier
I've rencently decided that I want to upgrade my TT...currently an older version Rega Planar 3. I have a multi-tiered question:

I have heard very few nice rigs...I am considering anything under $1500 new or used...somewhat flexible.

Has anyone heard both the P5 and Scout or either one for that matter?

My phono stage is part of my integrated amp...what is a good phono amp down the road to consider for this level of table performance?

How good of a cartridge (price point) should I be thinking?

For anyone that likes the P5, is it enough of an upgrade from the P3 to consider this move or should I be thinking more down the P7 route?

Are these tables good, or should I wait until I can afford a more significant jump in table/tonearm?

Thanks

Feb 25, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 3
I really like the scout but the rega sounds great as well. I have heard the soutmaster with the shelter 501 cart through the ASR mini basis and it is pure music magic. The scout would not be too far behind and the beauty is you could go scout for 1500 with mm cart for now then upgrade as cash became available

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadlesko
I've rencently decided that I want to upgrade my TT...currently an older version Rega Planar 3. I have a multi-tiered question:

I have heard very few nice rigs...I am considering anything under $1500 new or used...somewhat flexible.

Has anyone heard both the P5 and Scout or either one for that matter?

My phono stage is part of my integrated amp...what is a good phono amp down the road to consider for this level of table performance?

How good of a cartridge (price point) should I be thinking?

For anyone that likes the P5, is it enough of an upgrade from the P3 to consider this move or should I be thinking more down the P7 route?

Are these tables good, or should I wait until I can afford a more significant jump in table/tonearm?

Thanks

The P5 and P7 are both upgrades over the P3. I think the P7 was a better table than the Scout, and more along the lines of the Scoutmaster in terms of getting what you can off the albums. (given even choice of cartridge and phono stage) If you want to really go up the Rega chain....pick up a new P9 with the 1000 arm. This table is awesome.
I love the sound of the Rega tables. I like the upgrades you can do to the VPIs. I got a great deal for my Scoutmaster with some customizing done on the setup and phonostage. However I could switch over to the P9 even with the Rega MM cartridge and not miss a thing from the VPI.
If you can get the P7, go for it, awesome table and a big improvment over the P3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back