Rega P2 and grado PH-1, a good idea?
Nov 26, 2008 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

limpidglitch

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm in the market for a turntable, my very first all mine turntable in fact. I've borrowed my fathers beogram 2404 for a year or so, but now I'm on my own and need something to play my records on. my local audiostore has the Rega P2, and it seems like the thing for me. The right price, really nice, sleek and simple design, proper KISS, but is it any good, and how about a preamp?
Since I'm already into Grado the PH-1 seems like an obvious choice, but since I'm completely fresh in phono world, I don't even know if it's technically possible. Is there anybody out there with any experience with these two products I've mentioned?
It would be of immense help.

Nov 26, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the market for a turntable, my very first all mine turntable in fact. I've borrowed my fathers beogram 2404 for a year or so, but now I'm on my own and need something to play my records on. my local audiostore has the Rega P2, and it seems like the thing for me. The right price, really nice, sleek and simple design, proper KISS, but is it any good, and how about a preamp?
Since I'm already into Grado the PH-1 seems like an obvious choice, but since I'm completely fresh in phono world, I don't even know if it's technically possible. Is there anybody out there with any experience with these two products I've mentioned?
It would be of immense help.

I like the Technics 1200 MK2 better as an entry turntable because of it's much heavier build quality. The light weight P2 should work for you fine though if your heart is set on it. Setting it on something solid helps out the light construction. A slab of granite would be the ultimate foundation for the Rega turntable or for any other turntable for that matter.

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 33
Without turning this into a 1200 vs. Rega debate (which it will eventually become), I'll just say that the phono preamp's compatibility has more to do with the cartridge, and less with the turntable.

What cartridge comes with the Rega? Is it installed at the shop, or will you have to install it yourself?

A great-sounding budget-conscious preamp is the Cambridge Audio 640p. That preamp will allow you to put a lot more of your money towards a better cartridge and, hopefully, more records.

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 33
An ordinary stereo rack or shelf is fine with a Rega. I started out with a Planar 3 and it was fine on a stereo rack. Also, weight does not necessarily equal great sound. That's not a slam on the SL1200 (which I have heard and think is a decent deck), but it does not follow that a lightweight plinth makes for bad sound.

Anyhow, I think the Rega is a fine choice. I liked mine so much that I've been picking up parts here and there to build another one for a second system. Just need a platter, switch and feet.

You might want to look for a used Rega, though. Mine was 20-25 years old, was strong and the friend I gave it to still uses it daily. You might be able to get a P3 or P5 used for the same price as a new P2.

I'm not familiar with Grado's phonostage. I used my Rega with a NAD PP2 I liked a lot. You should consider one of Grado's cartridges, though. I thought the Grado Gold was wonderful on the RB300.

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 33
Grado cartridges and Rega turntables aren't a very good match, apparently.
If you're really interested in the Grado, I think there are better turntables for it than the Rega.

Here's a slightly better examination of the problem.

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 33
Pro-Ject Xpression III is a similar design and price to the P2. I own one and think it is a good buy. It works very well with Grado. Don't expect the Xpression II or I to work with Grado though. Same hum issues as Rega.

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #8 of 33
the p2 is one of the best values in tt's and is quite capable, will respond to upgrades as well. look for a used naim stageline phonostage, they can be had for around 200.

Nov 27, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #9 of 33
yeah, I've heard about the hum. so it's because of magnetic interference with the motor? how does other turntables avoid this? I do wonder about an alternative to the P2, but it would cost a bit to send it from the US to norway (25% vat and insane exchange rate), the P2 is the only real alternative I've found locally, so maybe an alternative to the grado cartridge would be the way to go.
But just for the sake of exploring the possibilities, a suitable turntable for a wooden Grado cartridge, similar in philosophy to the Rega? Music Hall?
And uncle Erik, was that a grado gold and a RB300 tonearm on a Rega?

Nov 27, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #10 of 33
elusive disc says they're able to send the PH-1 before christmas, and with the statement sonata at $400 it is pretty tempting to push the button. I checked out the Pro-Ject, juniperlater, and it seems cool, so it might be an alternative if it can handle the grado cartridge.
MMF-5.1 + statement sonata + PH-1 –> 16000 NOK inc vat+ship ≈ $2300 very roughly.

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
elusive disc says they're able to send the PH-1 before christmas, and with the statement sonata at $400 it is pretty tempting to push the button. I checked out the Pro-Ject, juniperlater, and it seems cool, so it might be an alternative if it can handle the grado cartridge.
MMF-5.1 + statement sonata + PH-1 –> 16000 NOK inc vat+ship ≈ $2300 very roughly.

Hi limpidglitch: My first thought on your proposed system is that you are starting out buying a budget turntable and then you are spending way way too much money on a phono preamp and cartridge. The Cambridge Audio 640P has been suggested and I have to concur with this. Grado cartridges aren't as well shielded as other brands and can potentially hum with some turntables. Audio Technica, Shure, Ortofon, and Stanton all make very nice sounding cartridges under $100. I am currently running a Stanton 681eee which I am warming up to but I suppose the Audio Technica 120E is more neutral. I have never had hum problems with Grados but I have had issues with tracking.

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #14 of 33
yeah, I see your point, ssportclay. What I'm seeking is essentially synergy, and I believe could be achieved with a turntable that won't give a grado cartridge any problems, I'm appreciating your suggestions on preamps and cartridges, but imagine those are all set, which turntables would be a good match, below $1000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back