Type
For Sale
Currency
USD
Price
Mar 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

guildenstern

100+ Head-Fier
Rega DAC in silver satin finish, in excellent condition, first owner, purchased from authorized Rega dealer, always used gently in non-smoking household.

I’ve tried quite a few DACs (including excellent performers from Bel Canto, Wyred 4 Sound, Benchmark, Arcam, Peachtree Audio, and Eastern Electric) but in my experience none beats the Rega when it comes to sounding more like music than an electronic reproduction. I have two Rega DACs, but one gets almost no use in a remote system, hence the sale.

I listen to one of my Rega DACs daily in my office system, through the USB input (data rates of 48kHz and below and 16 bits via USB), and it is never fatiguing, always warm and musical. For what it’s worth, of the five selectable filter settings, I prefer No. 5, but you may prefer another setting. The differences between the settings are subtle but audible, and can help you achieve the best sonic match with the other components in your system.

From a few of the many enthusiastic reviews:
What Hi-Fi: “The Rega DAC is, to put it in the most basic terms, a tremendously engaging product. …it’s dynamically effortless, absolutely packed with detail, strikes a balance between energy and refinement brilliantly and describes a soundstage explicitly. There’s no detachment here: the Rega sounds fully engaged with any music your care to play through it.”
Stereophile: “The Rega DAC's sound was distinctive and superb. The Rega DAC had a richness, a fullness of tone, an analog sense of ease, that I had not hitherto heard from digital, save for SACD. I heard a naturalness, an organic quality to the sound.”
Digital Audio Review: “A full-bodied and a solid articulator, the Rega DAC also has a lively way with treble – just enough incision on the leading edge without straying into harshness or dryness. …There is a lucidity and – rarer still – acoustic mass with the Rega that is tougher to find when spending less than a grand.”

Comes with factory box and manual. I will double box for shipping.

No extra fee for PayPal at the asking price. No lowball offers, please. US-48 sales only. Preference to experienced Head-Fiers and Audiogoners with positive feedback. (See my long record of 100% positive feedback on Audiogon, user name = jhold.)

Details from Rega’s website:
• 16-20-24-bit at 32kHz to 192kHz digital to analogue conversion.
• Five user selectable digital filters.
• Two isolated Co-axial inputs, two Toslink SPDIF inputs & Isolated USB input.
• Input stage comprising of a Wolfson digital receiver with a high stability low jitter clock.
• Jitter minimised by synchronously clocking the digital data with our receiver PLL.
• A pair of parallel-connected Wolfson WM8742 DAC's, which are driven via a buffer stage, a similar configuration to that used in the Isis CD player.

​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread