Rega Apollo Impressions
Jan 25, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #16 of 83
Thanks for the detailed impressions!

I've always been a huge fan of the Rega Planet 2000. The Apollo sounds like a real winner. If I needed another redbook player, I would very seriously consider it.

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #17 of 83
Excellent stuff. This has just bumped the Apollo near the top of my "most wanted" list, and the E5 off of it
tongue.gif
. I can't wait to see some more comparisons with other players.

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #18 of 83
Mike,any chance Oz would let you bring one to the Fl meet,or he could bring one himself.I've never heard any of their players and this would give some Head-fiers a good audition opportunity.Gary.

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #19 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geist
Excellent stuff. This has just bumped the Apollo near the top of my "most wanted" list, and the E5 off of it
tongue.gif
. I can't wait to see some more comparisons with other players.

Remember this is just one guys opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss2
Mike,any chance Oz would let you bring one to the Fl meet,or he could bring one himself.I've never heard any of their players and this would give some Head-fiers a good audition opportunity.Gary.

For you, anything.
biggrin.gif
Actually, I will either have one of my own or I will ask Oz to lend us one.

Jan 26, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #22 of 83
Thanks for the info, I am very interested in the Apollo.
I used to own a Planet 2000 which I loved, but I had to sell it
frown.gif
when I moved to Canada.

Jan 26, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #24 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
You didn't think I came up with this stuff on my own?
biggrin.gif

IIRC, that will cost you 4000 posts and loss of the title "Headphoneus Supremus" for a year! But if you can arrange an extended home audition of an Apollo for me, I might be able put in a good word or two for you.
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #25 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
It would be nice to know how it compares with meridians

I haven't heard a Meridian since the G08 and that was months ago. I would venture a guess that the G08 is the better cdp. I don't believe I am going to far out on a limb with that one. I felt the G08 was better than the E5. I personally feel the Apollo is better than the E5, but not by a wide margin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
IIRC, that will cost you 4000 posts and loss of the title "Headphoneus Supremus" for a year! But if you can arrange an extended home audition of an Apollo for me, I might be able put in a good word or two for you.

You can come over my home any time to hear it. Take away my title and posts. What is I have to do to get banned around here.
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #26 of 83
Excellent review! That sound signature sounds right up my alley, and the price is under 1K too, very impressive. If I wasn't so married to a computer-as-source and external DAC combo right now, I'd seriously consider this as a standalone CDP based on your intial impressions. And kudos to your friend who opened up his shop for your comparo - how often do we get to do something like that for a head-fi review, eh?
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #27 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Excellent review! That sound signature sounds right up my alley, and the price is under 1K too, very impressive. If I wasn't so married to a computer-as-source and external DAC combo right now, I'd seriously consider this as a standalone CDP based on your intial impressions. And kudos to your friend who opened up his shop for your comparo - how often do we get to do something like that for a head-fi review, eh?
tongue.gif

His door is always open to us. He is a great guy to deal with. I always get to do home auditions of gear. He actually insists upon it to make sure people are trully happy. I told this story a while back. When I first met him, I wanted to buy some speakers, nothing too expensive. He came to my house, set them up and hung out for an hour or so to listen with me on a Friday night after closing up the shop at 9pm. Customer service doesn't get much better than that.

Jan 26, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #28 of 83
Did they upgrade the power cable connector on the Apollo? The Planet2K used the smaller, two-pronged C7 connector that I found not-so-secure feeling when I owned it. Does the Apollo use the C7 too, or a standard IEC?

Jan 26, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #29 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Mike,

Did they upgrade the power cable connector on the Apollo? The Planet2K used the smaller, two-pronged C7 connector that I found not-so-secure feeling when I owned it. Does the Apollo use the C7 too, or a standard IEC?

It uses a standard IEC.

Jan 26, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #30 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
You can come over my home any time to hear it. Take away my title and posts. What is I have to do to get banned around here.
biggrin.gif

South Florida in January - sounds good to me!! I can finally dry out after this wet winter we have been enduring. Regarding banishment, I think you need to run a DBT with only Bose equipment.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back