Refurbished headphones
Mar 1, 2006 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Oistrakh

Headphoneus Supremus
Some questions...

1) Do refurbished headphones come with all original materials including box and the manual?

2) Are there are signs of wear on the headphones?

3) How long did someone own the headphones, like is used headphones?

4) Is the sound supposed to be better cause theres "burn-in"?

5) Are they worth buying considering they're cheaper than new headphones?

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 12
All excellent questions. No doubt it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but in most cases a refurbished headphone was returned for some reason (it could be defective, or it could have just been the customer didn't like them). They are tested for function and repaired if necessary so that the headphone meets the same requirements that a fresh pair off the line must meet. So, you should get one that looks and sounds the same as a brand new one. Likely the previous owner didn't play them nearly long enought for burn-in to happen, but it might vary.

I got a refurbed pair of Sennheiser HD595's. They came in a simple bag with a cardboard Sennheiser refurbished marker on top, no box, no manual, and without the headphone stand that apparently comes with a NIB unit. I think it sounds fine and I paid what I feel was a reasonable price from a reputable seller on EBay for them.

Because of deep internet seller discounts, however, the price differential between the cheapest new units and refurbished units is getting pretty small.

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 12
I got a refurbished Koss ESP/950, and it arrived in as-new condition. No sign that it was ever used by anyone else, and all documents and warranty looked the same as what's included with units that are sold as completely new. I had the same experience with an Onkyo receiver that I recently purchased. Although these units were sold as refurbished, I could not see any way to tell that they were not brand new.

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 12
Refurbished *should* mean that it's brought up to "new" level in every sense of the word... if you get something that isn't, it wasn't properly refurbished.

I'd actually trust refurbished stuff more than new in some cases, as it was most likely looked over carefully (vs. new which may have defects).

Mar 2, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #7 of 12
I heard second-hand, that Sennheiser has particularly excellent quality consistancy with their refurbished products. ...FWIW

I've bought HD555's refurbed on ebay for a gift. They looked brand new.

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 12

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 12
I generally only buy "open box" from authorized dealers (usually returns or demos) or refurbished direct from the manufacturer. I'm currently listening to refurbished Aeon Flow Open that I bought direct from Mr Speakers and they looked new to me. TBH I don't think it really matters as long as there is the normal returns policy and full manufacturer warranty. Once I decide to buy something, the first thing I do is look for an open box or refurb deal (or sale).

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back