Refurbished Cans from JR.com
Apr 17, 2009 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

darthdiddy

Head-Fier
Does anyone have any experience with refurbished cans from JR.com? I am thinking of picking up some ATH-ES7 for $69.99 from them and I wonder if I should just pay the extra $20.00 to get them new. I do like the idea of buying them refurbished because that may mean less burn in time
atsmile.gif
I just don't want to risk inheriting someone else faulty unit. Anyone care to chime in with their experiences?

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm not too sure about the "burn in time" with refurbished. Usually people send back headphones for refurbishment due to mechanical issues with the driver or perhaps the voice coils...so they probably replace them entirely.

If they are covered under warranty, more power to ya

I'd say be safe and buy new, or at the very least, buy used from someone off the FS forums, that way you know what you'll be getting.

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 9
"Refurbished" items are often buyer-returned headphones, so they very new but not factory new. J&R has a very solid reputation, and I'm pretty sure they offer a 1 year warrany on their refurbished headphones. And your sure to get real ES7 from them, not fakes.

I think most 3rd-part Amazon.com sellers are similar, but there are loads of eBay sellers selling "refurbished" stuff, and who knows what you'll find there.

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Refurbished" items are often buyer-returned headphones, so they very new but not factory new. J&R has a very solid reputation, and I'm pretty sure they offer a 1 year warrany on their refurbished headphones. And your sure to get real ES7 from them, not fakes.

I think most 3rd-part Amazon.com sellers are similar, but there are loads of eBay sellers selling "refurbished" stuff, and who knows what you'll find there.

Well that put my mind at ease a little bit. I was worried about getting a fake as well. Good to know JR has a solid reputation.

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 9
well I finally bought them on my NYC trip, I had to get refurbished cuz they couldn't find the mysterious 16 in stock (from the computer) so I got one of the 19 refurbished ones. THey say it's from the factory itself so .. and J&R is a good company so I have faith it's real, sounds great anyways.

No scratches or anything, it really seemed new.. actually I can't tell a diff!
makes my UE super fi 5 pro sound muddy, I love my new ES7s!

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... just a thought; what if the phones were returned to the manufacturer for a faulty speaker, one side could be new and the other could have 500+ hours on it.

That's ridiculous. All factory refurbished products go through extensive checking. Such a high discrepancy would not be sold as a refurbished item. Also all refurbished isn't a used item. Sometimes items are refurbished because of a damaged or opened box...that's it lol. so the company re-seals the box and mark it as refurbished. Most of the time they include the reason an item is refurbished and the company offers an extended warranty for the item which may be 2 or 3 years. I buy refurbished all the time and I've never had a problem. its a cheaper way to get a great product cheaper and with an extended warranty, its win, win, win. oh and did I mention it was cheaper? Lol

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #9 of 9
yes, pretty much all the major brands have very strict testing requirements before being sold as a refurbished product. Refurbs pretty much always come with a good warranty from the factory as well.

Just make sure you are buying from a certified dealer and more often then not you will have a great (probably new) product for a dramatically knocked down price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back