"Refurbished" audio components?
Nov 19, 2008 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dead of night

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I like to jog with a Sony sports discman. These are not made anymore but I can buy "refurbished" ones.

What is the real story behind refurbished components? Are they clean? What exactly goes on when a product is refurbished?

Why is a product refurbished in the first place? I would like to know the true answers rather than possible hype at a a website.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dead of night /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. I like to jog with a Sony sports discman. These are not made anymore but I can buy "refurbished" ones.

What is the real story behind refurbished components? Are they clean? What exactly goes on when a product is refurbished?

Why is a product refurbished in the first place? I would like to know the true answers rather than possible hype at a a website.

Good question. I was skeptical of refurbished products until I learned more about them in an accounting class. Really!

First, refurbs are products that were usually returned under warranty for service or might have had a cosmetic defect. These are fixed and, because the unit cannot be sold as new, they have to be sold at a discount as a refurb, almost always with a warranty.

The accounting angle makes this interesting. If a product is returned and a new replacement is sent out, that means a lot of the profit is lost. So a company can't just ditch the bad product. If a refurb is returned a second time under warranty, that means almost no profit. Third, fourth and further returns start costing the company money.

So while the beancounters really hate returns under warranty, they really hate a second or third return. What that means is that the beancounters/management make damn sure that returned products never come back. After repair, the products are usually tested extensively, moreso than the quick test or two (if even that) a unit right off the assembly line gets. They do not want to see it again.

When you buy a refurb, you usually get a unit that's been tested thoroughly to make sure that it doesn't come back to demolish profits. And you get to buy that at a discount and still get the warranty. For me, that's a no brainer. I always buy refurbs. The computer I'm typing this on is a refurb that saved me about $300. I've never had a problem with one and I've saved thousands in the process. If a refurb carries a warranty, buy it. You'll save money and get a unit that's been tested a lot more than any new one has. It's counterintuitive, but refurbs are better than new ones. You might have to forgive a scratch or two, but that's not a big deal.

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
search on google

Wow, that's a thought. How long did it take you to come up with that one? Super helpful you are...

Sorry for the rant, but i get tired of responses like this to valid questions which can provoke rich conversation. What's the purpose of the forum anyway? He's obviously asking for your viewpoints as users and industry followers.

Don't be so quick to dismiss. Share!!!

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 17
thanks erik. that's a whole new point of view on refurbs.
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by vestaviascott /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that's a thought. How long did it take you to come up with that one? Super helpful you are...

Sorry for the rant, but i get tired of responses like this to valid questions which can provoke rich conversation. What's the purpose of the forum anyway? He's obviously asking for your viewpoints as users and industry followers.

Don't be so quick to dismiss. Share!!!

I've noticed that a lot of his posts are like that.

If you buy from trusted retailed, refurbished is absolutely fine.

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 17
As it applies to portable gear, I have a Zune 30 that I purchased from a fellow head-fi'er, and it has been rock solid. Previously, I would shy away from refurbs, but I've been more open to them since the Zune has worked out so well for me, and I use the thing around six to eight hours a day, six to seven days a week.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by captainzoli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As it applies to portable gear, I have a Zune 30 that I purchased from a fellow head-fi'er, and it has been rock solid. Previously, I would shy away from refurbs, but I've been more open to them since the Zune has worked out so well for me, and I use the thing around six to eight hours a day, six to seven days a week.

You bought a refurbed Zune 30 or a used one?

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #13 of 17
Great post Eric, but IMO there are certain refurbs you should avoid. For example with LCD HDTV's a lot of people return/exchange them because they have dead/stuck pixels. Technically from the manufacturer's standpoint several dead pixels fall within acceptable levels so they resell them as refurbs. Of course if they have a acceptable return policy, why not.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #14 of 17
I've bought many refurbed electronics over the years and saved lots of money doing so.

Buying a refurb from the manufacturer is fine. A 3rd party refurb is pretty dicey and you'd better be saving a lot to take the chance.

The only things I wouldn't buy refurbed are hard drives and LCD TVs. I want the longer new product warranty on those items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back