refurbed AT-ES7 from J&R
Aug 12, 2009 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Jessipoo

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm getting the ES7 finally, I am going to NYC in 2-3 weeks and I noticed J&R has new and refurbed Es7.

I spoke to the salesman on the phone, he said the warranty is North American so that's good, and that it's refurbished from AT itself.

My question is, has anyone had experience with the refurbed one? Don't know if it's worth 20$ difference or the risk...

Anybody have experience with that?

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 17
I haven't bought a refurbished one personally, but I've been pretty active with the ES7 community and from everyone that I read about their experience, it has been quite good. Plus if you buy them direct at the store, you'll be able to inspect them yourself. I would only worry about cosmetic issues.

Enjoy NYC, I was there myself 2 weeks ago, loved it, even tho my trip was too short. Stayed in Manhattan
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 17
Im going to give you the most honest answer possible. The es7s sound great and have very nice bass, however, they are one of the most uncomfy pairs of headphones I have EVER USED. EVER. There is no padding what so ever on the headband, and using them is the same as having a dog bite your head, its a vice. You have to bend them and mod them to make them more comfy, and even after I did that, they still hurt. The ear pads are not soft and rest on your ears, after 20 min of use, my ears were bruised.

sound quality - 7/10
portability - 7/10 they dont fold, they just rotate
bass - 8/10 dang, nice, my head shook after the burn in on song tracks
comfort - 1/10 worst set ive ever used in terms of comfort

i sent my back recently and will never touch them again. If you are ok with a vice like grip and on ear headphones, this is the set for you.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 17
ya.. it's just we're going in a big group and I'm the only one with an extremely different style and taste.. shopping wise

I want to go to design stores and electronics and they want to go to forever 21... and the boys..sneaker stores.

so I might just have to order them online, I know someone in the states. doubt you can try it out anyways at J&R... can you?

they seem to fit my needs. closed, somewhat isolate outside sound (for a medium noisy studio classroom or library murmurs, say...)

good soundstage, balanced headphones, clear crisp high, mids, lows.

low sibilance! (I hate the sssssssss)

driven from an mp3 player.

fashionable and low profile.

any girls have experience with these? the old foldables I had before used to always catch my hair when I let them rest on my neck.... super annoying.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 17
wow never heard of such a big problem with comfort for the ES7.. the mods usually fixed that problem.

well I am a girl so my head is rather small (which is why I want something low profile if not I look like an unbalanced bobble head) so I'm hoping this won't be an issue..

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadpool86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i sent my back recently and will never touch them again. If you are ok with a vice like grip and on ear headphones, this is the set for you.

Especially with glasses, but they're not the top offender. Try the AKG k141s with glasses.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 17
most people dont realize that modding them voids the warranty...so if you are okay with blowing 100 bucks or so if you still dont like it...well you get the idea

sadly, the es7s sounded GREAT and stunning, the comfort just ruined it. They are not designed for comfort...:[

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 17
How can you make such a claim like this? Did you do the mod and were refused warranty?

In truth, the headband "mod" is hardly a mod at all. Rather, it's adjusting the headband until it suits you. I did the headband "mod" on my old es7s, my cable snapped and I received a brand new pair a week later via warranty.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 17
If you're a little bit crafty, you can make a foam padding piece to fit on the headband which will help a lot with comfort on the top of your head. For the side of your head, the adjustment of the band helps nearly all people and I recently found out (in the ES7 thread) that the Senn HD25 velour pads fit the ES7 and that should increase the comfort I think.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 17
Just received my Refurb es7 today. They might as well be new, so far no problems at all. Get them from buydig, they're only 55 there and also come with a warranty.

I also have a really big head and after the mod they were very comfortable. Sound great too.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #11 of 17
I don't think there is really a risk in buying a refurb product. There might be some minor cosmetic damage, but since they were sent back for repair, you would think that they would ship back a working product for sure.

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn only $55? that's so cheap, why buy new?!

No reason to buy new--get the $55 refurbs from buydig. Though in fact, mine arrived looking brand new. The box looked brand new, and I don't even think the box or the headphones had any mention of being a refurb. I love the sound of the ES7, and with the headband mod and switching to the HD25 velour pads, they are now quite comfortable. This is without glasses though.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #14 of 17
and the warranty is through audio technica for north america?

Aug 13, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #15 of 17
I would think so. Best would be to contact JR to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back