Referencesounds/LFF's modded HE-5 >Code-X< thread
Sep 1, 2013 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 344

ValentinHogea

500+ Head-Fier
Ok...

A long kept secret has finally been released. As the Paradox fanboy I am... I own #001.

What can I say. Luis has done it again. Amazing soundstage, detail, percieved as flat frequecy response. Tight and deep bass. Mids and voices are to die for. Sparkly treble without harshness.
Yeah, everything is fantastic. Not a fantastic pairing with ZDSE. Too low impedance for an OTL-amp to have a good chance of driving them with authority.

So... I have to finish my balanced Dynahi/Dynamite asap...

Expect a longer review on another website in a couple of months.

For now a couple of quick shots. Included was the braided cable + 4-pin XLR to 1/8" TRS and a 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TRS-adaptor, a beige bag fr HP's/cable and the big hard case.

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #2 of 344
Those are some lookers - any word on the price? I love what DIYers are coming up with these days - well done, LFF.

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 344
Quote:
Those are some lookers - any word on the price? I love what DIYers are coming up with these days - well done, LFF.

Somewhere in the viscinity of 1000-1200 USD.  That of course includes the NOS HE-5 which he has a very limited stock of.

Can't say exactly since my total of 1375 USD includes S&H for my order with tracking to Sweden, as well as another S&H for another shipment that Luis helped me wih.

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 344
Quote:
How does this compare with your anax modded HD800? Which one has a flatter frequency response?

I can't honestly say yet. Don't have a good amp to drive them fully with yet. My Zana Deux SE is a god-sent amp for the Anax 2.0-HD800.
However it is far from optimal driving the 87 dB/mW (probably lower due to additional damping etc) and 25 Ohms impedance.

However the impressive results I have attained with such a far from perfect amp... Makes me want to finish my solid state-current-pumping amp ASAP.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 344
Those look awesome.  Nice work, LFF!

o2smile.gif

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 344
Out of my price range, but it's still cool as heck that modders like LFF and Mr. Speakers are pushing the envelope.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #12 of 344
As most of you guys can see... Not much is left stock. New wooden ear cups New wodden gimbal blocks New cushy black leather head New ear pads seem to me stuffed HiFiMAN-pleather, however. tihey don't look like HiFiMAN-pleathers... so for now, unsure what excatly they are dual 4-pin XLR connectors á la Audez'e 6 ft nylon sleeved quad-braid terminated in 4-pin XLR (M) 4 pin-XLR (F) to 1/8" TRS 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TRS 1 Beige headphone/cable bag 1 Black (leather) hardcase with satin interior. Looks vintage. Very cool.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #14 of 344
Quote:
If only there was someway I could get my hands on a pair of HE-5's...

He has a limited number of NOS ones. Also scavaging in the F/S might work. But it's the expertise and hours of labour that cost. Not the phones.

Although, if he charged what it took.. We'd be in the Abyss headphones-domain...

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #15 of 344
What exactly does NOS mean?

Exactly how much does a HE-5 cost anyways? Since you said the price with their headphones is $1200, but if you had your own, it would cost only $300 according to the ReferenceSounds website?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back