Reel to Reel....WHOA!
May 21, 2005 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
I picked this up about a year ago, but never really got around to listening with headphones. I've been using the K1000/RKV with it recently, listening to some pre-recorded tapes. All I can say is that, to my ears, it's as close to the real thing as I've ever heard. Right now I'm listening to a tape of the 1964 Newport Folk Festival...........stunning.
biggrin.gif

pic.php

May 21, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 18
Nice. And the machine seems to be in fine condition... Oh, I think I envy you!
wink.gif
Well, not really - for once, I'll keep on acting sensible realizing that I just don't have the space for the big tape stuff. Yeah, right... *hmmm* Then again, maybe something like this: http://www.springair.de/index.html?d...X_62582824.htm *mmm* No, I'd better not... Argh, Joe, what have you done?
biggrin.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 21, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 18
Nice unit, Bob! Back in the day, I longed for a Tandberg tape player, like a friend's dad had. Reel-to-reel was the best home recording method available at the time. I don't know if nice 'vintage' gear like that makes me feel old or young - I can't decide. Regardless, I think the big, clunky gear is beautiful.

Where are you getting your tapes? eBay? How large of a collection do you have now?

May 21, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Where are you getting your tapes? eBay? How large of a collection do you have now?

So far I've acquired two dozen pre-recorded tapes off eBay......and all have been fine. The only issue sonically is the slight tape hiss, even at 7 1/2 ips. But the sound quality is so damned good, once the music starts, the hiss fades nicely into the background.
Back in the 70's I had an Ampex tubed unit that I used to copy LPs, and those recordings sound fantastic as well on the Pioneer.
So far, in comparison to CD, SACD, HDCD, and LP, the medium of magnetic tape is the winner for me as far as sound quality is concerned. Plus, those spinning reels add something to the experience.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 18
I've been putting off and putting off and putting off picking up one of these. I'm envious of you and your new toy!!
biggrin.gif

How have you found the availability of tapes (both blank and pre-recorded) to be? I'd pick it up just to hear the old Beatles and Doors tapes I'd heard at a buddy's house.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 18
Have you tried copying one of your CD's to tape, and compare the recording to the original?

May 21, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I've been putting off and putting off and putting off picking up one of these. I'm envious of you and your new toy!!
biggrin.gif

How have you found the availability of tapes (both blank and pre-recorded) to be? I'd pick it up just to hear the old Beatles and Doors tapes I'd heard at a buddy's house.
biggrin.gif

Tom, I was waiting for you to post this. When I was researching my purchase, I found numerous similar posts by you. JUST DO IT! The sound quality is incredible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Have you tried copying one of your CD's to tape, and compare the recording to the original?

No, Jimmy, I haven't done that as I don't have any blank tape. Plus, I really just want to concentrate on pre-recorded tapes. If only I enjoyed listening to Mantovani or 1001 Strings, I could pick up a boatload of tapes for cheap on eBay. Unfortunatley, 60s and 70s rock stuff can be expensive. Maybe I should get into the easy listening stuff.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #11 of 18
I have a few friends that are reel to reel fans, and all I can tell you is that those machines sound incredible good, it is amazing the sound you can get of those oldies...this Pioneer seems to be in perfect shape man, congrats...Get a good head for it and you will retire with it....they are built like tanks....

May 22, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
I already did.
biggrin.gif

I know that you recently retired....but about the head???
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 22, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
I know that you recently retired....but about the head???
very_evil_smiley.gif

The heads looks just about new. The deck is in as close to mint condition as could be, and performs flawlessly. It also had a complete servicing just before I got it, so it should be good for quite awhile. I had always had my eye on the RT-707, not only for its looks, but also its compact size.......I'm still amazed at the sound quality that this medium provides.
On the live recording of the Newport Folk Festival from 1963 and 1964, the wind noise blowing into the mikes (these were outdoor concerts) is incredible. Listening to the audience clapping, I could swear I was there (this is with the K1000/RKV). The strum of the guitars is so damned realistic, it's scary. I'm afraid to listen to a CD, let alone my iPods........I fear I've been spoiled...........I need more tapes.
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
The heads looks just about new. The deck is in as close to mint condition as could be, and performs flawlessly. It also had a complete servicing just before I got it, so it should be good for quite awhile. I had always had my eye on the RT-707, not only for its looks, but also its compact size.......I'm still amazed at the sound quality that this medium provides.
On the live recording of the Newport Folk Festival from 1963 and 1964, the wind noise blowing into the mikes (these were outdoor concerts) is incredible. Listening to the audience clapping, I could swear I was there (this is with the K1000/RKV). The strum of the guitars is so damned realistic, it's scary. I'm afraid to listen to a CD, let alone my iPods........I fear I've been spoiled...........I need more tapes.
biggrin.gif

I heard a few tapes long time ago, including a J L Ponty tape that was incrdible, we had the CD, LP and the tape, and the tape sounded even better than the LP (no noise at all in the background) (The CD is not a good recording of this particular album)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back