Redwine iMod Review from Americanwired is up now
Mar 2, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 15
Is it just me who finds the first paragraph of the article to be vaguely insulting?

Quote:

What really rankles me about the iPod/iTunes experience is that tens of millions of people have bought into the idea that convenience is more important than sound quality,

Just goes to show that the reviewer should speak for himself in the first paragraph. Good review though...

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 15
No, it doesn't insult me. In fact, I found his claim accurate. The population he cites probably does not include you, and I know it doesn't include me. But I seriously doubt that for most people who own iPods (excluding Head-Fi members) that sound quality is the most important factor. If it were, why has Apple lagged behind other manufacturers, such as Cowon, iRiver, Creative, in terms of audio quality (they certainly beat them in sales. But for all purposes, sales constitues a host of other factors [popularity/fashion status, ease of use, accessories, etc.]). They still don't offer custom EQ, despite the cries of scores of reviewers and consumers who have lamented for it. Granted, one can achieve sound quality that equals or exceeds the audio quality of the other mp3 players with accessories, third-party equipment, and even modifications like the iMod. The player itself, though, trails at least three of its competitors, who may not equal Apple's marketing and sales, but certainly has them beat in SQ.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 15
I wouldn't find it insulting, as he includes himself as an audiophile. If anything it is self depreciating.
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 15
who cares if it "rankles" him? people buy products for different reasons. i don't care if people buy ipods because it's cool or fashionable...those are valid reasons to buy something. i don't care if they don't care that much about sound quality...that's their prerogative. to some, SQ is more important but to others convenience, size, ease-of-use, etc. may be more important...why does SQ have to be the most important thing for everyone?

now if those people were arguing with me about how great the ipod sounds, that's a different matter. a better review would not have lumped all ipod owners into a cliché'd group and instead just mention that there are other players that sound better than the ipod.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
why does SQ have to be the most important thing for everyone?

To me, this would be like asking, "Why is cell phone reception the most important thing?" After all, it's small and has bright, shiny, colorful buttons.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 15
Good review...not loaded down with a lot of purple-prose hyperbole as some audio reviews can be. For me, the clincher is in the conclusion:

Quote:

I think if you are looking for a state-of-the-art CD player that will dig out every last bit of music out of those pits, the iMod is not going to work for you.

For the rest of you who are interested in having 40+ of your favorite recordings on a compact music server which will blow your mind for its asking price, and if you are willing to accept its obvious limitations, the iMod is a fun device to use at home, in the office, at the cottage, and a wonderful piece of “Hi-Fi” that we can recommend without hesitation.

Sounds like my 5G. I think I'll keep it.

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 15
It was a nice review but I was a bit put off by the silver cable stuff...

First of all the people doing the mod send him a cable, which they obviously think is sufficient. Then he decides he want a bit more pizzaz so he adds the silver and lo and behod he hears a bit more sparkle.

Now, a cable like that could have different physical properties that could change the sound charachteristic (coloring the sound) but he couldn't have done a better job of convincing me what he heard was self bias...

sorry, it just rubbed me the wrong way completely...and this is not an attack on cables in general, just that approach.

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
Good review...not loaded down with a lot of purple-prose hyperbole as some audio reviews can be.

In the part you quoted, the reviewer stated "if you're willing to accept the obvious limitations of the iMod..." What exactly are the "obvious" limitations he's talking about? I'm not so sure he made them obvious at all.

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
In the part you quoted, the reviewer stated "if you're willing to accept the obvious limitations of the iMod..." What exactly are the "obvious" limitations he's talking about? I'm not so sure he made them obvious at all.

One obvious one would be that you just lost a headphone out.

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #12 of 15
I'm utterly delighted with my iMod ... the SQ is every bit as good as the review states. In that context, talk of "portability" seems out of place.

When I need portability (working out at the gym) I use my nano >> SuperMicro >> E4c setup and it sounds pretty good. When I want ultimate listening I use the iMod >> SinglePower >> HD600 or HF1.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #13 of 15
My Redwine iMod iPod is very portable with my tiny RS Hornet amp and RnB Diamond mini cable,I put the two into a Cablesmith belly bag for the gym. But I make sure it's locked up in the locker when I'm in the shower!
Also you can use a $9.00 Shure attenuator and go ampless,the sound is extremely good. I've done that a few times.

Cheers,
Robert

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #14 of 15
I found the review to be right on the money. I've been enjoying the iMod for a good while now, plugged into an Earmax Pro/HF-1. This lot gets regular attention when the kids have gone to bed, I'm still thoroughly enjoying it.

I tend to take reviews in magazines cautiously, some with a pinch of salt, for various reasons. Being an iMod owner, I realise it's not the be-all-and-end-all of digital playback, but would find it extremely difficult to find fault with sound quality, as did the reviewer. It's got a certain charm that warms me to the music, and the music only. I'm importing parts of my CD collection bit by bit, and it's very liberating not to feel like I want to listen to these albums critically on the iMod, something which I have done over the years as I've upgraded many a CDP.

I also use the Hudson Audio Silver cable, and find it performs very well being preferable (in my system, and to my tastes, at least) to the copper iChord I have been using. Seems to me to put the icing on the cake.

I'm off now to piss the wife off with another late night listening session.
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Is it just me who finds the first paragraph of the article to be vaguely insulting?
Quote:

What really rankles me about the iPod/iTunes experience is that tens of millions of people have bought into the idea that convenience is more important than sound quality,

It's *ignorant* of reality more than anything else. I mean that's the whole POINT of portable audio. You trade off some sound quality for the sake of convenience. I mean I'd hardly call a walkman and audiophile product, but Sony sure sold a *lot* of them..
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back