Redux: 3rd-gen iPod with high-bitrate MP3s
Mar 31, 2004 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

James

100+ Head-Fier
This is an update of my experiences on this thread.

Briefly, I discovered that many of my 256/320kbps LAME-encoded MP3s were being played back on my 3rd-gen iPod with a fluttering/underwater artifact overlaid over them. I called Apple and they told me they would not support my problem if I did not encode my files using iTunes. I argued that LAME was responsible for a not-inconsiderable portion of the MP3s available, and besides, the iPod is advertised to play back any MP3 file. I hung up the phone in frustration ... only to call them back not five minutes later. It turns out my iPod also had the same problem with iTunes-encoded MP3 files! The next day, off went my iPod to California.

Yesterday, I received a brand-spanking new 40GB iPod (gotta love AppleCare). Unfortunately, it still cannot play high-bitrate MP3 files.

Given that, in the ensuing time, a couple people on this forum and a few more of my friends have duplicated my experiences, I just wanted to post a definitive thread about it. I am including two short test clips below, one of piano and the other of woodwinds. Basically, two AIFF clips were encoded in several different ways using LAME 3.90.3 --alt-presets and the iTunes 4.2 MP3 encoder.

There is a large (~11.5MB) version and a smaller (~3.5MB) version. In particular, the former compilation contains the original AIFF clips.

Cheers,
James

P.S. I am debating whether to post this on iPodLounge myself, since I am not registered there. If someone with some clout there could post the URL for this thread under the "iPod Problems" forum, I would be much obliged.

Apr 1, 2004 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by James
P.S. I am debating whether to post this on iPodLounge myself, since I am not registered there. If someone with some clout there could post the URL for this thread under the "iPod Problems" forum, I would be much obliged.

Looks like you decided to post yourself over on iPodlounge, here's the thread for anyone interested:
http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/sho...threadid=26997

Hopefully you'll get some additional feedback over there, or better yet here at Head-Fi.

Apr 7, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 3
Update: Hopefully this will consolidate the conclusions drawn from several recently resurrected threads. As AndyH noticed, I indeed posted this topic on iPodLounge and managed to elicit additional learned responses. There are now at least a handful of careful listeners across these two forums who have confirmed the problem, not to mention the Apple techs who evidently heard enough to issue me a new player (which still suffers from the high-bitrate MP3 decoding issue ... but at least it's minty fresh!). I am now convinced that this is a universal issue with all 3G iPods. We'll have to wait and see if Apple ever releases a firmware fix for it, or reveals that it's caused by a hardware limitation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back