Reducing the sibilance on HD 25s?
Sep 24, 2013 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

darwinvsjesus

Head-Fier
So, as many of you undoubtedly know, Senns, although wonderful in every other way, are extremely sibilant. I know, everyone is going to say "get the HD 650 cable"

Is that the best way to get a general improvement in the sibilance? Oh, and while I'm at it, what else might I do to improve the sound on these?

Sep 24, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 5
EQ helps if you are on a budget. Switching the cable might or might not change the sound, this is subjective. Getting an amp that compliments the treble will also help.

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 5
You could also try some pad rolling. I believe the pleather pads are less sibilant than the velour ones. There are also many after-market pads that you could try. I also believe the superbly comfortable pads from the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 fit the HD25, so that might be worth a try (I never tried this though). 

I use an Amperior, and I did some pad rolling with this headphone. What I found out is that when I used legacy HD25 pads, the Amperior became super-sibilant and almost unlistenable, but with the stock Amperior pads, the sound is fairly sibilance-free. So perhaps try some Amperior pads on the HD25?

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 5
The easiest/cheapest thing to do is replace that black foam in front of the driver with something a little bit denser. A piece of craft felt, some velour, even a cut up sock will do.

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 5
  You could also try some pad rolling. I believe the pleather pads are less sibilant than the velour ones. There are also many after-market pads that you could try. I also believe the superbly comfortable pads from the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 fit the HD25, so that might be worth a try (I never tried this though). 

Too big, I would know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back