Rediscovering ER6i's
Jun 4, 2008 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Doc Sarvis

1000+ Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of ER6i's as a gapfill/second pair of IEM's while my beloved SE530's are being repaired (cracked cable - surprise!). This is actually the second time I've owned ER6i's (I gave the first pair to my wife who still uses them). This time around, I've noticed two things that have greatly increased my enjoyment of these little Ety beauties, and I've fallen in love with the sound all over again:

1. Shure black foamies (which I use with the SE530s) are much better on the Etys than anything that comes stock with them - better sound, better bass, better isolation, and much more comfortable (for me at least);

2. ER6i's lend themselves well to Shure-style behind-the-ear cable dressing.

I recommend you try these two tweaks with your ER6i's, and predict you will like the results.

Doc

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 7
i love the black foamies on mine, but have a lot of trouble when trying to wear them over my ears. the cable is so light and flexible that it is hard to keep in place. i was thinking about putting a layer of electrical tape around the end to thicken it up and make it better for over the ears, maybe try to put a permanent bend in it to make them stay.

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 7
I agree! ER6i FTW!

With the stock tips I didn't really like them much. They sounded tinny and weak.

Shure black foamies opened them up though. Now they're full sounding and with the perfect amount of bass. IMO there is also a fair amount of soundstage.

Jun 5, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 7
For me, it was the short Comply foamies that first allowed me to better appreciate the Etys. Then the black Shure foamies. Both help with comfort, fit and isolation, and both seem to temper the highs. My Future Sonics M5s have spoiled me, but the Etys remain very worth earphones and an excellent value.

Jun 5, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 7
LaBreaHead, how do you like ER6i's bass in comparison to the Atrio's, using the Comply tips/Shure foam tips? Do you find the ER6i to have enough low end for bass heavy music, e.g Hip Hop and Rap?

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back