RedGiant: A Supernova in the Making?
Jun 8, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #406 of 441
Quote:
How are you finding them? Enjoying them still I hope?

Yup!  I'm surprised that they fit so well with their gigantic size though.  But I do have some seal issues sometimes, though that is fairly common with most IEMs.  My only problem right now really is that the bass is kind of odd...sometimes it is pretty strong and awesome but sometimes it just feels like it's not quite there.  I do like the treble though, for the most part, but it seems to suffer from the common problem of plasticky resonance most IEMs or small headphones have, that is it sounds a bit nasally right in the lower treble or upper mids.  The only IEMs I've tried that don't really have this problem are the GR07, which I honestly think are better than the A03 other than the annoying lower treble peak they have.  The lack of sibilance with the A03 is nice.

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #407 of 441
Just a little bit of information: I made my way to Computex today, and spoke to Rob and Joe at their booth. They've been developing their retail display cases that look simple but elegant; it looks like they might be reaching more retail locations soon. They also have new colors for the A00 and A04 coming (pictures on their Facebook page). I definitely feel that RedGiant as a company tries to do right by the consumer; I've told them about all the various things that we'd like to see changed/implemented in their stuff; it's up to them to see if it fits their product philosophy. Hopefully, we'll be seeing even better things from them in the future.

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #408 of 441
Quote:
Just a little bit of information: I made my way to Computex today, and spoke to Rob and Joe at their booth. They've been developing their retail display cases that look simple but elegant; it looks like they might be reaching more retail locations soon. They also have new colors for the A00 and A04 coming (pictures on their Facebook page). I definitely feel that RedGiant as a company tries to do right by the consumer; I've told them about all the various things that we'd like to see changed/implemented in their stuff; it's up to them to see if it fits their product philosophy. Hopefully, we'll be seeing even better things from them in the future.

I missed you at the show.  Thought you were going to text me if you went.  I did a bit of a review of their booth but I was tired and my voice is giving out so I mixed up the A00 and A04 a bit :)  It was a blast randomly running into you in a random store in Taipei Tom.  Hope your tests go well.

Jun 11, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #409 of 441
Quote:
  I missed you at the show.  Thought you were going to text me if you went.  I did a bit of a review of their booth but I was tired and my voice is giving out so I mixed up the A00 and A04 a bit :)  It was a blast randomly running into you in a random store in Taipei Tom.  Hope your tests go well.

Yeah, sorry about that; I was in a huge hurry and didn't even decide to go until that morning, and I went as soon as the show floor opened. It was great randomly bumping into you though. We'll definitely talk more later on.

Jun 11, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #410 of 441
Yeh, i agree with Tom in the fact they seem to really want to involve them selves in making changes. I stated that i did not find them comfy and actually painful in my review so they asked for me to send some pictures of them in my ear so they could look at improving the fit. Can not wait to see what they produce in the future. If they can replicate the sound quality into a user friendly comfortable housing then they could land something great!

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #411 of 441
Thanks tomscy2000 and everyone else on the Redgiant tour for giving me a chance to have a listen to these interesting IEMs! Here are some of my impressions, which I've arrived at from listening sessions over the course of a week or two.

Redgiant A03

Firstly, my impressions of the build are pretty positive and in line with the price. The cable is reassuringly chunky, the shells seem well built with and with a attractive duality of red and white. Nevertheless, because of the sheer size and complex shape of the earpieces and their hollowness, I would not expect these to survive any kind of strong crushing force. So don’t step on them.

In terms of comfort, I found these relatively easy to fit in my ear, but with noticeable pressure on parts of my ear from the large shell. I can’t comment on the tips, because I used medium Sony hybrids with them.

My initial impressions of the Redgiant A03’s sound were not so positive, given both severe driver flexing in the left ear that made me afraid of putting them in, and also the ‘stuffy’ impression of the sound I got coming from the clarity of IEMs like the EX1000 / JVC HA-FXD80 I had been listening to. I felt like there were was a great deal of artificial echoes and resonances from the large plastic shell chamber that were creating an epic but ultimately smeared sense of scale.

With extended listening though, from my iPhone 4 and also my home rig (Music Streamer II+ / Objective 2 amp), I can easily see this as the kind of IEM that gets fans like the Radius TWF21K and the ASG-1.

Firstly, the bass is the most prominent feature - rich, deep and authoritative. It’s not lightning quick bass, but its not sloppy either, with deep extension.  Mid-bass is equally thick, so the result is a rounded and lush note tone.

Mids and vocals are recessed, and don’t make a particularly strong impression. It’s here that the sound is the most messy to me, with a particularly noticeable reverb around the vocals that lend everything a bit of veiled fuzziness.

The treble and upper vocals have a nice amount of detail to them, but its not immediately obvious because the treble is presented quite delicately. These are forgiving phones with no notable sibilance, and I think I would get fatigue from the shape of the things in my ears before I ever got any kind of fatigue from the treble. 

The overall presentation of the soundstage is like others have suggested: expansive and epic, and larger than most other IEM’s. I still think it sounds a little artificial though, because of the aforementioned resonance. The stuffiness and closed design also means that I don’t get the illusion of openness that say, the EX1000 creates.

In a sense these are similar to the TWF11K in that the bass driver is providing an overwhelming scale to the sound, but the treble driver is still pushing through some detail. However compared to the TWF11K the Redgiant is a little less subtle and delicate in tone, with a stronger mid-bass emphasis.

Overall I’d say the sound was in line with what I would expect from this price, but not something I would get super enthusiastic over. I was also surprised that the A00 seem to have the better build with its metal construction.

Redgiant A00

I was super impressed by the build of this headphone, as the metal shells exude a wonderfully solid quality to them far, far above their price point. (Similar to my impressions of the JVC HA FXD80 build). Of course, the trade-off is added weight, but once in the ears they aren’t so bad. The metal jelly bean shape is quite comfortable, though I would really have liked to be able to wear these over the ears. The cables are again lovely.

I again got driver flex with these in both earpieces, though it was a little less severe than with the A03. 

In terms of sound, in many ways I actually preferred these to the A03’s. They seemed overall more balanced in tone to me, with vocals more forward in the mix and less of that resonance / reverb of the plastic shells. 

However, the driver is noticeably less articulate in the lows, with a kind of sloppiness in bass notes compared to the A03 and not nearly as good extension down low. Treble is also less articulate and quick, and every now and then there is a little ‘hiss’ to the sound. 

They are similar overall in character to the A03 though, and considering the price and build quality I thought these were excellent. However, my vote will still go for the HA-FXD80 for the sound / build / value trinity.

My Impressions of Redgiant, the Company

Despite neither of these IEM’s hitting it out of the park with me, I am actually very impressed by a new company that got the build quality part of the equation so right with their first attempts. The earphones seem to have been designed to please a lot of people with the sturdy quality and the forgiving and fun sound, though I would be a bit wary of these designs if I had smaller ears. I also really hope they resolve issues with driver flex as I cannot vouch for the long term reliability of IEMs with such severe flex issues.

Its clear that the company has got some innovative thinking and some care was put towards the design. I’d keep my eye out for the next iteration of designs from them, as this is a pretty darn promising start.

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #412 of 441
Hm, I've been listening to my pair of A03s a lot lately, and I'm really liking them a lot.  The sub-bass is far deeper than I'd originally really thought, and the treble, which was giving me a bit of trouble at first, is actually sounding pretty good to my ears now.

I also find it interesting that it seems I'm pretty much the only one here who has absolutely no problems with the fit!  These are actually probably one of the most comfortable headphones I have, period!  I can wear them for hours with no problems.  I guess I'm just lucky.

I don't think anyone here's actually listened to the A02 before though?  I wonder how those sound!

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #413 of 441
Quote:
Hm, I've been listening to my pair of A03s a lot lately, and I'm really liking them a lot.  The sub-bass is far deeper than I'd originally really thought, and the treble, which was giving me a bit of trouble at first, is actually sounding pretty good to my ears now.

I also find it interesting that it seems I'm pretty much the only one here who has absolutely no problems with the fit!  These are actually probably one of the most comfortable headphones I have, period!  I can wear them for hours with no problems.  I guess I'm just lucky.

I don't think anyone here's actually listened to the A02 before though?  I wonder how those sound!

I only listened to the A02 briefly so I don't remember that well. It's more U-shaped than the A03, with less treble presence and thus, more apparent bass. Things sounded more grainy to me.

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #414 of 441
I'm reviewing the whole lineup pretty soon. Bought a couple and got some review pieces from Red Giant. One thing I'll say right off the bat: each and every one of these responds very well to EQ. I've found that lessening the treble just a hair and upping the bass just a hair brings a pretty great middle ground. It takes the harshness off the top.

Aug 10, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #415 of 441
I just received the Red Giants in the mail today. 
Quote:
...the A00 reminded me of being in the middle of a crowded nightclub dance floor, strobe lights and all​

Initial impression for me is like standing outside the crowded nightclub, hearing the thumping music through the building wall.  

As to the A03, I.. I.. I, well it's going to take some time. 
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #416 of 441
Quote:
I just received the Red Giants in the mail today. 

Initial impression for me is like standing outside the crowded nightclub, hearing the thumping music through the building wall.  

As to the A03, I.. I.. I, well it's going to take some time. 
confused_face(1).gif

Glad to hear they came in okay. Was waiting around for confirmation. I'll post up my thoughts on the A00 on Monday when I'm off, been pretty damned busy since one of the guys from work took vacation and has been magically "sick" ever since he came back, so we've all been pulling extra hard without him around :l 

Also, big LOL at "As to the A03, I.. I.. I, well it's going to take some time." Are you having issues with fit too?!

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #417 of 441
It's troublesome that the fit is so hit-or-miss with so many people. I also have a feeling that my particular copy has trouble with the diaphragm in the left ear. It has always had problems equalizing air in that ear, leading it to have problems with the sound from time to time.

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #418 of 441
It's troublesome that the fit is so hit-or-miss with so many people. I also have a feeling that my particular copy has trouble with the diaphragm in the left ear. It has always had problems equalizing air in that ear, leading it to have problems with the sound from time to time.

Yes the left side has trouble equalizing after insertion flex. I'm not sure if I can get a comfortable fit; a seal yes but not very comfortable.

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #419 of 441
Random A03 thoughts:

- its like putting a pentagon shaped peg in a round hole
- there is some strange layering going on; vocals are lifted and brought very forward of all the other instruments
- I imagine this is what listening to music with the built in speakers of a Stormtrooper helmet sounds like
- it sounds like the music is coming from a holographic band
- the previous thought doesn't make any sense
- yes lord vader, is that you?

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #420 of 441
Quote:
Random A03 thoughts:
- its like putting a pentagon shaped peg in a round hole
- there is some strange layering going on; vocals are lifted and brought very forward of all the other instruments
- I imagine this is what listening to music with the built in speakers of a Stormtrooper helmet sounds like
- it sounds like the music is coming from a holographic band
- the previous thought doesn't make any sense

LOL

Random A03 thoughts:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back