Red hot chili peppers - by the way reviews
Jul 17, 2002 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

BoardC3

500+ Head-Fier
Hey i personally LOVED this cd but then again i love basically everything by them. I want to hear some other people opinions.

Jul 17, 2002 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 21
It's great so far, tracks 1, 4 and 5 are standouts, i'm really digging this album!

Jul 17, 2002 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 21
apart from some songs, I'm not really a fan. but after all the glowing reviews, I decided to check some tracks of this album, and it definately sounds good! slighty more refined or something than the stuff I remember. anyway, should be a solid buy from the looks of it.

Jul 18, 2002 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 21
Just bought the CD...It Rocks!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2002 at 12:42 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Any opinions from long-time RHCP fans, especially those who thought Californication was a poppy crocka****?

kerelybonto

Are you on crack? Californication was and is one of their best efforts! I can't stand this whole "i'm a long time fan and i think anything new sucks" ********. Their current direction is far more interesting and fresh than that nightmare album they released with navarro (shudders). Now that was "crocka****."

Jul 18, 2002 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 21
I totally agree. Their old stuff was great but then again so is there new stuff. Californiacation was really great and youre the only person ive heard to say otherwise.

Jul 20, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #9 of 21
I have every RHCP recording except this new one. I just can't take the constant disappointment.

The first few years were fun, head-bobbin, toe-tappin music. When I heard 'Under the Bridge' I knew the end was near. You can't go from a party band to a whiney ballad band and back to a party band. Not on the same record. Hell, not even in the same career. Back in the day, Anthony used to scream and yell and sing and rap and strut and promenade - nowadays he just whines and Flea and the guitarist dejour follow along.

There's a scene in the "Blood+Sugar+Sex+Magic" video of Flea picking up his kid from school in a big black Mercedes. As it pulls away from the camera you see a bumpersticker on the car that reads "**** You - I'm Rich" - I think that defines the bands direction more than anything. (edit: wait, "**** You - I'm Rich" was the title to a chapter in the Hunter S. Thompson book "The Curse of Lono" which is a great read and.. I digress. Maybe it read "I don't care about you. **** You." It was something like that... Anyway..)

I actually like the RCHP+Dave record alot. Maybe it's because it's not a RHCP record - it's an entity unto itself. (Hmm... Jane's Addiction - That was another good band when they were on heroin.) Interested parties should try to dig up a copy of "Deconstruction" which is a great Jane's CD minus Perry - but I digress...

"But," I hear you say, "there's plenty of good songs on this CD that aren't whiney odes to lost love and bad decisions." Perhaps, but they'll never get played on the radio.

ok,
erix

Jul 20, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #10 of 21
I've been a fan of RHCP since their beginning and I'd have to add that they have gone through some major changes throughout their career. Their sound changed with each addition of a new guitarist. I've enjoyed every version of RHCP and consider each version a totally different band even though John F has been with them twice. I would have to say that "Mother's Milk" and "Blood Sugar Sex Magic" are my two favorites though. I have not heard the new cd except for the couple of songs that have been on the radio. I like what I have heard and will pick up the cd used somewhere. It makes no sense to pay top dollar for cd's unless it is something not common, but that's another subject entirely...

BTW, most bands undergo a style change with the addition or subtraction of band members: Genesis; Yes; Mother Love Bone->Pearl Jam; Journey; Thin Lizzy; Pink Floyd; just to name a few...

Anyway, I think the days of RHCP being a hardcore party band are over. They are getting a bit long in the tooth...

Regards

Jul 22, 2002 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 21
gloco, I'm not on crack at the moment, and I think Californication sucked balls as a RHCP album. It was decent stuff, I guess, but it's not what I want from the Chili Peppers: I'm looking for "Suck My Kiss," "Fight Like a Brave," "Apache Rose" kind of stuff. It's hard for me to swallow the new stuff from a band I've come to love for something else entirely. If I were twenty-five years older, I probably would have hated Zeppelin for putting out In Through the Out Door. (Maybe not, though -- I love Soundgarden's Down on the Upside as much as their previous albums, for example.)

The Chili Peppers, to me, climaxed with Uplift Mofo, Mother's Milk, BSSM, and One Hot Minute. I really don't understand why so many people dislike that last album -- it's definitely a much better presentation of the Chili Pepper's unique sound than their two most recent albums.

erix, do you like ***** for Pyros? I'm also a Jane's Addiction fan, but don't own any ***** albums. ...

kerelybonto

Jul 22, 2002 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 21
I personally felt that "one hot minute" was a terible album and "suck my kiss" is one of the worst songs they have ever recorded.

What can i say, some fans age with their favorite bands, some dont

wink.gif

Jul 22, 2002 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 21
Well there you go. We obviously don't like the sames things about RHCP.

... But I just put "Suck My Kiss" on to see what there is to dislike about it -- and what is there? Which of their songs do you like, besides their new stuff?

kerelybonto

Jul 22, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Well there you go. We obviously don't like the sames things about RHCP.

... But I just put "Suck My Kiss" on to see what there is to dislike about it -- and what is there? Which of their songs do you like, besides their new stuff?

kerelybonto

I just went over to amazon.com and copied and pasted tracks from their what hits?* that i like from the band:

Higher Ground
Fight Like a Brave
Behind the Sun
Me & My Friends
Backwoods
True Men Don't Kill Coyotes
Fire
Get up and Jump
Knock Me Down
Under the Bridge
Show Me Your Soul
If You Want Me to Stay
Hollywood

May i ask, how many times have you listened to Californication? Or By the way? I just didn't care for their poppy crocka****S like "Suck my kiss," "The Power of Equality," "Give It Away"

I find those three songs extremely annoying if i ever hear them. I prefer non radio tracks (as usual). Don't get me started with their extremely weak "One hot minute," the band themselves didn't seem to like that album one bit as they had a difficult time getting in tune with Navarro's style of guitar playing. I much prefer Californication (excluding "i like dirt," i hate that damn song) and By the way, which is growing on me.

*it was easier to just copy and paste from there.

Jul 22, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #15 of 21
What Hits!? was a greatest hits disk of pre-Blood Sugar Sex Magic material. It's all very good, but in my opinion and in that of most of their fans, the Chili Peppers reached their pinnacle with BSSM. Songs like "Suck My Kiss" and "Give It Away" were the culmination of RHCP's sound, in my opinion. They incorporate all the essentials: Flea's bumping bass, Tony's spewed rhymes, and the solid guitar and drums work we know and love. More importantly, they stick to the definition of the Chili Pepper's funky, quick, and hard genre-busting style. And unlike songs on their previous albums, those on Blood Sugar Sex Magic sound much more refined, in the sense that it finally sounds like Tony can sing and they've moved beyond being let's-run-around-naked attention-seekers to being real musicians.

It's funny that you call those songs from BSSM "poppy" and ****ty. A lot of people consider the Chili Peppers of the eighties, before their '91 uber-album, to be the Limp Bizkit of their time, not too concerned about the music but definitely shooting for style points. I agree.

I also think it's strange that you cite the songs you did as what you like and still think Californication and the new album are A-okay RHCP material. I used to own Californication and I've heard quite a few cuts from By the Way. Talk about poppy **** -- nothing on those disks has the funkadelic goodness of classic Chili Peppers. "Around the World" on Californication comes closest, but it's still a just a crappy shadow of songs past. No, everything after One Hot Minute sounds like all the other pop-trying-to-be-rock out there. Today it struck me that it reminds me of Tommy Lee's new stuff ... and I'll stop before I insult one of my favorite bands too much.

kerelybonto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back