Recurring thread consolidation???
Apr 11, 2009 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

buddhashenglong

500+ Head-Fier
Is there a way or want to do this, like every few months (days?) a NEW "Bose Bash", "Skullcandy sucks", or "KSC75 is such an amazing value, who knew" thread pops up. Maybe that could improve our SNR? Or when entering a thread title a search that returns similar/identical threads and posters could reconsider their musings and grave digging on a well worn subject. I'm not familiar with the mechanics of such a thing but I imagine it could be done. If this has been suggested before consider this as an example of how its utility would have stopped me from typing all this. Peace.

Apr 11, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 4
Interesting idea!
Some threads tend to show up on a regular basis, and they are mostly posted by new members who for some reason don't search for existing threads before creating a new one...

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 4
I'm afraid the forum software wouldn't allow that. It would require a moderation effort which probably isn't worth. Eventually it's us members having seen posted such threads hundreds of times, who could make the effort to warn the OP, but that wouldn't help many other members following again the very same futile discussion.
Probably the only solution is just skipping, and not reading them.

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 4
I think I've seen such a thing on digg.com, not sure though. Either way it probably isn't worth the trouble.

Perhaps adding a check box that says "I'm sure this thread is not a dupe." or something would be better. Sure people could lie, but it would probably filter a bit of the repeating threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back