Recovering from "the Procedure" - A Rant
Nov 15, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #61 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
You do know it's not 100% effective right? Please tell me you know that. My mom miscarried after having a tubal ligation years earlier, so just know it's not 100%.

If I remember right from that time, I thought that the female version was more effective in preventing than the male percent wise
confused.gif

Yes, I know it's not 100%.

Nov 15, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #62 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
[size=x-large]Whimps![/size]

Yup, just don't let my wife know though
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
But you just have to "suck it up and get on with life".
blink.gif

True. I will have it done, but until that day comes (we even talked this morning about a third child), I will gather some info to ease some of my concerns and anxiety.

Nov 16, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #63 of 82
Nov 16, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #64 of 82
I originally wanted to post something silly to rile my buddy Tom but I think we need to take this opportunity to thank Tom for providing us all with an important example. Tom decided to take the reproductive responsibility in his family and that is most certainly not an easy thing to do for any man. We as men do not have the right to complain about what women do as long as we fail to take the responsibility Tom has. It's a tough thing to decide that you will have no more children and that all your love and resources will be devoted to your family as it is comprised now.

How many of us men say things like "No knife for me" or "let her deal with that". When we leave it to women to deal with the reproduction in our familes we fail to complete our duties as fathers and husbands.

Tom,I know it took more than you're willing to admit to start this thread,so thanks a lot for setting this example for all of us.

My ex-wife and I decided for her to have a tubal ligation after a very difficult pregnacy that nearly took her life but I was 100% willing to take this responsibility myself and I may still do so now that I am divorced.

This is an important thread and I hope it can remain open for reference. My wish is that we can provide useful information for those among us who may consider this procedure.

With all that said......
You should try a cherry popsicle,blue and red makes purple
icon10.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #65 of 82
It's not that bad. I had it done 11/11, so I'm still just a bit sore. I had four Zanax, two Vicodin, and intravenous Valium in addition to the local anasthetic.

When I got home I had a few scotch ales and drifted off to sleep. The ice packs helped a lot. After 48 hours, a nice warm shower helped as well.

I should mention that I had my portable rig on during the procedure. Does that make me the first person in the World to listen to the Hornet during a surgery?
blink.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #66 of 82
Tom,

I have to go through the procedure. After the wife gave birth to son #3 in May, I decided that I would get it done. Six months later I still haven't had it done, though I am staring at my referral!!! And the wife is getting ornery.
icon10.gif

I was recently at the dentist for a cleaning and I needed a few shots of novacaine so I'm used to the sensation of being poked by a needle, but that lower region is another story!

A couple of friends have gone through the procedure and have stated the same things you have and the bag of peas. They've mentioned that the pain is really more discomfort and warm showers helps the healing process.

I hope you feel better.

You can start a new team "procedure-fi"
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 11:42 AM Post #67 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyMan
It's not that bad. I had it done 11/11, so I'm still just a bit sore. I had four Zanax, two Vicodin, and intravenous Valium in addition to the local anasthetic.

When I got home I had a few scotch ales and drifted off to sleep. The ice packs helped a lot. After 48 hours, a nice warm shower helped as well.

I should mention that I had my portable rig on during the procedure. Does that make me the first person in the World to listen to the Hornet during a surgery?
blink.gif

Damm, and the rest of us just got jabbed with a needle?
What the hell was wrong with my Dr.? He didn't even offer any of the good stuff.

Nov 20, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #68 of 82
Would be funnier if you bailed out and told your significant other that you did the procedure :p. Anyways hope you dont get some odd infection from the surgery or what not. Enough scaring you : )

Nov 20, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #69 of 82
I have a friend who had three kids and then had the procedure done and shortly thereafter he conceived TWINS. So now he's got 5 kids.
blink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
After mine, I felt fine in about 3 days. One bad part for me was being told that it couldn't be completely trusted until the sperm count six months later!
eek.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #70 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve999
I have a friend who had three kids and then had the procedure done and shortly thereafter he conceived TWINS. So now he's got 5 kids.
blink.gif

This should surely cause some doubts about who's the father of the twins........
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #71 of 82
Well, it's been about 10 days since the procedure, and I'm healing up. The stitches have dissolved, and I've been able to walk around without added support for the first time since the surgery. At the risk of providing too much information, it appears that everything is functioning largely as it were before...though I'm still a bit sore.

I hope that my not-so-great first few days have not put anyone off of the surgery. It's not the sort of thing to be taken lightly, that's for sure...but at some point I think we guys need to think about potential children in terms of how long we're going to be around to be a part of their lives.

I put this off for a long time, primarily because of my concern (echoed by my wife) about the "what if" scenario. What if something happened (death of a spouse, etc...), and I someday remarried. One assumes that any future spouse might want to have kids. At some point, however, I determined that even if something like that happened, it was getting to the point where I couldn't become a father all over again and fulfill the responsibility that goes along with it. I want to be around to see my kids graduate, marry, and maybe even see a couple of grandkids prior to leaving this life. I'm getting old enough these days that I'm starting to see that window close, and finally reached the point where I decided that it was time. So far, I've not looked back on that decision with any regret.

My buddy Fred had some kind things to say about my starting this thread. A lot of it had to do with all the pain I was in from the whole thing, and I don't think that my buddies who'd had it were completely forthcoming about what I was in for. That said, I do also feel like potential fatherhood is one of those things that we guys need to consider.

Nov 20, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #72 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
Dude, I love that Far Side panel! One of my favorites...
biggrin.gif

Does anyone have a copy of that cartoon they can post. ? I have never seen it but I can imagine it was very funny. Just thinking about it is making me laugh out loud !.

Nov 21, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #73 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
OMG!
eek.gif

How many kids do you have Onix? How many times did your wife have to go through childbirth, not to mention carrying the baby for 9 months with all the consequences (throwing up, aching back etc.) And now you want her to do the dirty work again?

Be a man Onix, like our brave mod E-T!
tongue.gif

Seriously E-T, hope you're feeling better soon, I'm in quite a lot of pain every month but when you're not used to it it has to be even worse.
frown.gif
tongue.gif

Sorry, really serious this time, I hope it doesn't bother you during jury duty. Get well soon!
smily_headphones1.gif

Okay Lisa, I am a coward, but I plan to get the procedure in a few weeks. I just need to coordinate with my boss in case I need some days off. Aniway, the fact I am going under the knife. But maybe that way I can convince my wife that I really need a new set of cans.
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #74 of 82
Is this vasectomy covered by most health care insurance policies?

I am asking because I have been thinking about having it done myself. I know that I am only 28 years old, single, and unmarried, but I just can not figure out how having children is supposed to be a wonderful milestone in my life. I got enough problems as it is with my own personal life and family life, how can adding children make things any better?

Nov 21, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #75 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
Is this vasectomy covered by most health care insurance policies?

I am asking because I have been thinking about having it done myself. I know that I am only 28 years old, single, and unmarried, but I just can not figure out how having children is supposed to be a wonderful milestone in my life. I got enough problems as it is with my own personal life and family life, how can adding children make things any better?

I think that it would be a major mistake to have a vasectomy given these circumstances. You may someday wish to have children with someone that you care about, and the procedure is (largely) irreversable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back