Recordings with great soundstage (for testing headphones)?
Jun 5, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 17
I don't know any typical tests CDs but might recommend Front Line Assembly "Millennium" with emphasis on track 08 to test localization abilities of headphones. There are some travelling sounds that when coming out from a good amp to decent headphones, you hear it move in three dimensions, left and right, back and forth, simply like a fly.
biggrin.gif
You can judge whether the headphones are able to image from behind your ears to some distance forward, and soundstage width, too.

Jun 5, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 17
Thanks for the tip, Majkel - I was thinking about "real" music, not about test recordings - real music probably shows more than some pure, separate signals. But, OTOH, test CDs should be fun, too. Sorry for being a bit unclear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Haven't listened to FLA in ~10 years, time to find it again.
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 17
I think you can't go wrong with these three masterpieces:

- UAKTI - I Ching (perhaps a bit hard to find, but definitely worth the search)
- HECTOR ZAZOU - Lights in the Dark
- ROGER WATERS - Amused to Death

cool.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 17
Some of my reference tracks off the top of my head...

Dave Brubeck's Take Five...
one of the benchmark audiophile recordings. You should be able to precisely visualize the location of each musician on a good system.

Tea in the Sahara by the Police...
great track to listen for depth of soundstage; Sting's voice should sound from really far away

Lives in the Balance by Jackson Browne...
Percussion at the beginning should move across from side to side

Dancing on the Ceiling by Lionel Ritchie...
At the very beginning, you hear Lionel's voice on the extreme right, footsteps over to the extreme left.

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 17
Not music, but here's a Dolby Headphone recording of a MacBreak podcast:

MacBreak #23

Drew

Jun 6, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #10 of 17
When you've got K 701s everything has great soundstage.
wink.gif

Try "Signal to Noise" by Peter Gabriel.

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 17
I'm not very knowledgeable on this stuff but Miles Davis - Kind of Blue and Buena Vista Social Club have excellent room-like ambiance!

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #15 of 17
If you can use a good DAC, take a dvd player, use the coax out and put some movies... The scene where Sarumane is standing on top of the tower in The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King is very challenging (good echo rendition), along others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back