Recording w/out crossfeed? :::
Apr 5, 2002 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

badtz

100+ Head-Fier
For use alongside recording purposes, is it best to use an amp w/out crossfeed?

also, for the CMoy, is there anyway to have a switch to turn on/off crossfeed? [jmt's design]

Apr 5, 2002 at 9:12 AM Post #2 of 5
Are you connecting your recording device after your amplifier? This doesn't sound like a good idea, and is generally not done. Recording are usually made directly out of the mixer or source.

Apr 5, 2002 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 5
Ooppss....

I meant using headphones [to monitor your mix] ........... would i need an amp that had a crossfeed or is it better i get one w/out it? also, can i get the best of both & have a switch to turn on/off the crossfeed ?
smily_headphones1.gif

sorry about that :wink:

Apr 6, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 5
The amp JMT built for me has a crossfeed on/off switch. Crossfeed is fairly subtle so I don't think it would make much difference when mixing.

On second thought, with bass heavy recordings the crossfeed effect is quite noticeable, causing reduced bass. I would think in generally you wouldn't want to use crossfeed when mixing.

Cheers

Apr 6, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 5
Well, I guess they're are pros and cons of using an amp with crossfeed for monitoring purposes. Since crossfeed is sort of designed to simulate speakers, and the majority of people use speakers, I suppose crossfeed would give a better approximation of what they would hear. On the other hand, using crossfeed would not reproduce the sound as accurately, since it would apply signal processing. For instance, some crossfeed circuits would reduce the bass. I would think most people do not use crossfeed when monitoring recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back